DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1991 TSI 5spd that I am currently rebuilding and my school janitor wants to race! yes I said JANITOR he's cool guy taht went through his midlife crisis and got a 5.0 convertable. but anyhoo......... I was wonderign if I can beat him? from other threads I have read it looks like I can..... but can I? here is what will be done on the car by the time I race him......my car will be practically stock unless I can get some good extra $$$$ but for now here is what will be done on the car

fuel pump rewire
MBC
ported turbo

body kit (75 HP right there!!!) JK!!!!!! I am NOT adding a body kit

my engine has 160k (i know its high but MANY parts are being replaced)

o yea his car is an auto

·
Registered
166 Posts
If your car is in good running order I would put my money on you. If you're gonna turn up the boost, you could put in a little race gas to maintain good ignition timing (just for a little insurance).

·
Registered
381 Posts
GT verts run low 15s
But he has 160k on the motor. The car is probably tired

·
Registered
166 Posts
True, 160k is alot...hopefully there no lifter tick causing phantom knock.

·
Registered
787 Posts
160K IS A LOT for a 4cylinder... not an 8. As long as he has done maintenence to it.. 300k from a v8 is not unrealistic. My friends 93 Z28 has only had a few things replaced (Opti, Waterpump) and at 163,000 miles he still runs 14.0Xs... Consistantly.

;) Good luck on your race. I would say it will be close. Some 5.0s ran faster than others in 95.. might whoop him bad..might get beat by a little. Hard to say.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MY car has 160 k but its gonne be a practicaly new engine once I am done rebuilding it. I am takign the head into a shop to have it looke at and replace anything that needs replacing. The only Mods he has is an exhaust. I know for sure thats all he has. I think he has about 70k I am guessing casue he stores it in the winter too.
ok lets say I am a good driver at manual what kind of 1/4 mile times should I be getting?? I know you cant give me any exact answer but I am curious what I can expect from my car with the mods I already said will be done by spring.

·
Registered
787 Posts
In all seriousness I took a 5.0 GT Vert (1994) in my 1994 Cutlass Supreme SL (3.1L) ...

I believe rated 1/4 for a GT Vert is 15.9

I can't aswer your question myself as I have no DSM knowledge as far as thats concerned.

·
Registered
787 Posts
S8ER95Z said:
160K IS A LOT for a 4cylinder... not an 8. As long as he has done maintenence to it.. 300k from a v8 is not unrealistic. My friends 93 Z28 has only had a few things replaced (Opti, Waterpump) and at 163,000 miles he still runs 14.0Xs... Consistantly.

;) Good luck on your race. I would say it will be close. Some 5.0s ran faster than others in 95.. might whoop him bad..might get beat by a little. Hard to say.
BTW - I misread the original post and this one is strictly me talking out my ass. :rolleyes: :D Sorry. I just re-read it.. Damn I sound dumb... bwahahaha.. need sleep I think zzzz

·
Registered
22 Posts
The SN95 body style was heavy and with an auto that is another handicap...

My 89 Gt before I got rid of it ran a lot better than 15.5-15.9...

First pass was 14.86 at 94.... second time to the track with the car tuned up a new clutch new shifter new cold air intake and new electric cooling fan I ran a 14.42 at 98. This was in an 89 Mustang GT convertible full power leather stereo and with 2.73 gearing.... but it was a 5 spd..... he is heavier and is an auto....

·
Registered
932 Posts
You will definitly beat him. Its a 95 CONVERTIBLE making it heavier, plus auto.. damn hes beat.

Oh get a K&N, $40 for around 10HP and 1 minute install, you didnt have that listed!

Get
K&N - 40
MBC - 50
FP RW - good idea!

Even maybe a test pipe (30-40 bucks).

·
Registered
690 Posts
stock for stock, both cars should perform pritty damn similar.

But, he has a convertable and an auto- so thats minus for him, and you should edge out on him.

Then, if you add a MBC+ported turbo you will be 100% golden beating this guy.

I am assuming you are gonna put a exhaust+intake on first though, right?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it already had a K&N filter with hacked air can when I got it. I have about $500 in repairs and after the engine is all set I am getting exhaust. actualy........I think I gotta rpelcae my down pipe TOO because that wire mesh stuff near the bottom is all torn up and falling apart. so I am gonna be replacing the ENTIRE exhaust!!!! how much HP will like a 2.5" exhaust add on these cars? I read a thread on 2.5" VS. 3" but forgot what it said. I gotta loook that up again

·
Registered
932 Posts
Full Exhaust will add substantial HP, esp with no car, anywhere from 30HP around there. 2.5 vs 3inch.... just do yourself the favor and get 3inch. It better in the long run, even if youre going to run a 16G in a year or so you know? I made the mistake of getting 2.5 first, PAIN IN THE ASS!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
S8ER95Z said:

BTW - I misread the original post and this one is strictly me talking out my ass. :rolleyes: :D Sorry. I just re-read it.. Damn I sound dumb... bwahahaha.. need sleep I think zzzz

good save LOL

·
Registered
143 Posts
TALONTED TURBO said:
Full Exhaust will add substantial HP, esp with no car
So, do you run down the track holding the full exhaust, or do you strap it on your back? :p

LOL :p

Sorry. I know what you meant. It was just funny to read.
:D

·
Registered
932 Posts
97GS-Toy said:

So, do you run down the track holding the full exhaust, or do you strap it on your back? :p

LOL :p

Sorry. I know what you meant. It was just funny to read.
:D

Man I am dumb! LOL :scholar: JK

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
TALONTED TURBO said:
Full Exhaust will add substantial HP, esp with no car, anywhere from 30HP around there. 2.5 vs 3inch.... just do yourself the favor and get 3inch. It better in the long run, even if youre going to run a 16G in a year or so you know? I made the mistake of getting 2.5 first, PAIN IN THE ASS!
agreed just get the 3in, and save yourself the hassle in case you upgrade to a way bigger turbo than your 14b. Also if your a good driver you should be able to nudge him out, miss a gear or screw up the launch your toast, But then again he might screw up to, so just get out there and show him what awd is all about!!! keep us posted! btw just to give yoruself a lil advantage, you might wanna do a lil weight reduction if you dont mind taking stuff outta your car.....like back seat, passenger seat, spare tire etc.......

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok I am a little new but WHAT IS KNOCK? I have heard of ticking under the valve cover and stuff like that but what is knock and a knock sensor??

1 - 20 of 50 Posts