DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tree down on the back glass of my eclipse. Is the rear glass interchangeble with any other years? Im looking to get a 99 if it is still available or any suggestions where i might get one to north georgia

·
Registered
9 Posts
Glass is the same 95 to 99. Only difference is some years use a different defroster layout with different number of traces and wires so you may need to rewire. I found that out when I got a rear glass for mine. Havent installed it yet so havent looked into rewiring yet. Getting the old glass out is a picnic! Its in like steel with that urethane sealer. Best way is a window glass removal tool if u can get one. Its like a Sawzall in appearance but with a much shorter stroke. The pros use em. The painstaking but safest way (for the glass not your hands) is a razor knife and good piano wire to cut it out. Wear heavy gloves to protect your hands!! After the glass is out you'll need to remove all the old urethane sealer from the new glass with a razor blade and will need window primer to fix where you scrape through it. That will fix the black appearance around the outside and give a nice adhering surface for the new sealer. You can find the window primer online. To seal the glass back in use urethane sealer like 3M Windo Weld 08609. Prolly need 2 of em and of course a caulk gun. Advance auto should have the sealer. You'll also need a new rubber trim if your old one is no good and you plan to reinstall it. Its just a trim piece that takes up the space between the glass and hatch and not integral to holding the window in to my knowledge. Not sure if it makes a difference in wind noise. I dont plan to replace it when I put my glass back in. Its like $60 or so if you need a new one and can even find it. You can also find universal window trim by the foot thats similar. If you're going for an entire hatch watch out for rust. Theyre notorious for rusting in every year 95-99 and only in rare cases will you get lucky and find rust free! The most common cause is leaks at the seals where the wing screws are installed at the outside edges and the center and also where the wires pass through in the center. The other common rust cause is the glass tends to get loose and allow water in so even if you get a hatch with glass in it and somehow manage to find one without rust the window will eventually leak unless its removed and resealed correctly which the factory didnt do! Best done by a shop so you dont break the glass removing it unless you want to take the risk...and then again....piano wire and razor is safest! Only other thing to consider if hatch shopping is did yours come with a wiper in the rear. All GS and GST cars should have a wiper and some RS after 97 I think. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts