DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an auto trans and TCU out of a 1ga car. Will any year 1g AWD auto wiring harness be compatible? Speaking of which, does anyone have a harness that they'd like to sell me?

·
Registered
460 Posts
the transmission plugs are different on 92ish up. Need the harness that matches your trans.

You can also find a junkyard NT car of the proper year, cut all the connectors off both sides, and make your own harness and then tap into the ECU harness AFC style. I've done this before also.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HighPSI TSi Guy said:
the transmission plugs are different on 92ish up. Need the harness that matches your trans.

You can also find a junkyard NT car of the proper year, cut all the connectors off both sides, and make your own harness and then tap into the ECU harness AFC style. I've done this before also.
Hmm... Sounds like a lot of work. I've got a guy offering me $160 for a harness shipped to my door. He claims it's in good shape. I will however be running an AEM; am I going to need to do many special mods for it to jive with the TCU and all? I've heard you are the man to talk to about such things.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I hope you have better luck than I did. I bought a new rebuilt trans (Art Carr)for mine for a real good deal, but I was for a different year and the plugs were different. I tried tradeing all the components that are pluged in and seem by the tcu from my old trans, but it would'nt shift. Just 3rd, limp mode.
Some day I'll figure it out and be able to put it back in my car again.

·
Registered
326 Posts
TucsonTSI said:
I just picked up an auto trans and TCU out of a 1ga car. Will any year 1g AWD auto wiring harness be compatible? Speaking of which, does anyone have a harness that they'd like to sell me?
A 91 & early 92 harness and TCU are 3 plug, a late 92-94 harness and TCU are 2 plug.....

·
Registered
460 Posts
TucsonTSI said:
Hmm... Sounds like a lot of work. I've got a guy offering me $160 for a harness shipped to my door. He claims it's in good shape. I will however be running an AEM; am I going to need to do many special mods for it to jive with the TCU and all? I've heard you are the man to talk to about such things.
AEM and TCU will work fine together, just make sure you cut the park/neutral switch wire.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for everyone's input! I have now found a couple of wiring harnesses for sale, but before commiting to one, I need to know if my transmission is an early (3-plug) or late (2-plug) version. I have a '91 OEM shop manual and based on the diagrams, the transmission I have matches the plugs on the '91 transmission. I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry though and double check with you guys.

Coming from my transmission I have: the kickdown servo switch (round connector), two pulse generator connectors (each with two wires which all meet up at one square 4-prong connector), a triangular 3-prong connector (trans temp it looks like) originating from very near the kickdown servo, and one more square 4-prong that only has three wires and originates a couple inches above the triangular 3-prong.

I would assume that this makes my transmission an early (3-plug) version? Either way, what should I look for on a harness to make sure it is compatible with my trans? (i.e. how does the 2-plug harness differ?)

Thanks again. Sorry if my wording was confusing.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The part of the harness that goes under the center of the dash will have the three plugs that go to the TCU if its a 91 to early 92 harness..

This is also the correct TCU ( MD750092 ) for a 91 to early 92 AWD..Other, three plug TCUs will work, but not shift at the right rpm...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah! See I am dumb and thought that "three plug" vs. "two plug" was referring to the plugs on the transmission, not at the TCU. Thanks for the clarification. I should stop taking my stupid pills...

So does this mean that you have to match the TCU, harness, AND transmission? Phew. At least in my case I am pretty sure that the TCU and transmission are from the same car. I'll have to go check out that TCU tonight when i get home.

Thanks!

·
Registered
460 Posts
TucsonTSI said:
Ah! See I am dumb and thought that "three plug" vs. "two plug" was referring to the plugs on the transmission, not at the TCU. Thanks for the clarification. I should stop taking my stupid pills...

So does this mean that you have to match the TCU, harness, AND transmission? Phew. At least in my case I am pretty sure that the TCU and transmission are from the same car. I'll have to go check out that TCU tonight when i get home.

Thanks!
The transmission plugs are different between the 2 as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts