DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, I searched, found some things but diddn't really clear my mind. I have read the Magnus write up but yeah, here is the story:

I'm driving my car and it dies blah blah car gets no spark. I get it home and Link throws the crank positioning sensor code at me, so I decided to just wire in a 1g CAS to get rid of the crank sensor since this will be my 4th sensor and do not feel like dealing with it anymore.

Now first you might ask why the hell is this kid going through so many sensors, well I tore the engine down this past winter and found the trigger plate was bent up a bit causing contact with the sensor, so I got a new trigger plate. Everything seemed fine for about a 1000 miles untill it died again. Now I'm thinking why this one died is because it was on with that bent trigger plate for awhile and I know it must have damaged it.

So, I wired everything for the 1g CAS accordingly to magnus's write up, car still gets no spark. It's not the coil pack cause I just hooked mine up to my friends car and it fired right up with my coilpack. So my real question, has anyone wired in a 1g CAS with a complete 7bolt and is there something I am missing. The car is a 97 so the DSM link is already set to the inverted cam angle setting. As far as fuel goes I know it's getting fuel to the rail, for some reason I diddn't check if the injectors were firing, I will check for that tomorrow. Any help would be much apperciated!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
My last car 99 gst with a 7 bolt and I had a 1g cas wired up just like on the rre site. It ran fine. If you aren't getting spark i'd also check the ptu(should be right next to the coil small box bolted to the intake manifold). Also check to make sure your ecu doesn't have any damage due to leaky capacitors.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Have you checked you car for crankwalk? That is another reason you could be killing crank sensors. The crank could be moving enough to cause the plate to hit the sensor, that's what happend to my 7 bolt when it walked.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha I actually just got home from picking up a ptu, I'll be trying that out aswell tomorrow. I checked the ECU, board looks clean, no signs of leaky caps, no funky smells. And I have checked for walk, I diddn't notice any play, I just built the enigne about a year ago, it's a 2.3L so it uses a 4g64 crank. When I tore it down all the bearings looked to be in perfect shape so I know there were no signs of that back then either,,, god I hope it's not that hahaha. I know for sure the last crank sensor was damaged a bit from the last bent trigger plate, so I'm really hoping that did it out for this sensor. Also, my exhaust is pretty much dumping right under the oilpan, maybe it heated up the sensor somehow and that probably diddn't help much.

edit: I should have a bit more info to post tomorrow!

·
Registered
679 Posts
In case you forgot what I told you earlier: Pull up Dsmlink, and start a capture/ log. Crank the car and make sure you are seeing some cranking RPM's. If the car is cranking but dsmlink is not showing any rpm's, you wired the CAS wrong since the ECU is not getting a crank signal which will cause no spark.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I know for sure if you have a 2gb you must choose the inverted cam angle setting on dsmlink, I was wondering if I keep it on that setting when I install a 1g CAS.

And yeah Scott, I'll check the laptop when I get it back from my friend.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, a little update, I thought by deleting the crank sensor I would ahve gotten rid of this problem but I guess not. Car starts right up no problem at all when the enigne is cooled down a bit and sits for a bit, but when the enigne is warmed up, it jsut will not fire up, it will crank fine but yeah, no start. I thought this 1g CAS would ahve taken care of this crap :-\ lol any ideas?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.