DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up guys...i'm in need of some opinions.....i was able to stumble on a 1G head that i plan on unsing on my 2g (stock 7 bolt bottom end)...i'm looking for opinions and advice as to what setup of springs, retainers..etc to use....i was planning on using some SS valves, with crower titanium springs&retainers....i currently have the FP1 cams which i plan on using on the 1g head (if they fit, which they should correct?)....i'm not 100% sure as to which valves to use. and weather or not i should go with the 1mm oversized valves...so can you guys please give me advice as to which setup would best compliment my setup(listed below).......

MODS : B16G turbo, FP1 cams, FMIC w/ 2.5 short route piping, FIC 650s, Walboro 255 rewired, intake, exhaust 3" turbo back, dsmlink...and other misc mods that i dont think would be affected by the head...

p.s i would plan on running a this head on a 2.3 stroker, but it won't be for a while from now, so i would have to redo the head a 2nd time, i just want something that will produce power, and airflow to compliment my 16g......thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
For your application, the factory valves and springs are fine.
Put you money into other parts.
You will not need springs until you go to a much wilder cam...
Ask Turbo Bob about his FP2 cams.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
When i was having my engine built, Polk Performance told me to go ahead and toss in the 1mm os ss valves. he said that it would help if i did mild mods like turning up the boost some with a 255 and larger injectors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool, thanks for the reply.....so i will more then likely run stock springs...with the 1mm os vavles, and some port work.....one thing i did want to ask... will the 2g cam caps fit a 1g head, being that the cams are interchangable....the head i got did not come with the caps, but i will call the guy later to see if he might have em....but worst case scenerio, i wonder if the 2g caps will work the same?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Undsptddsm said:
cool, thanks for the reply.....so i will more then likely run stock springs...with the 1mm os vavles, and some port work.....one thing i did want to ask... will the 2g cam caps fit a 1g head, being that the cams are interchangable....the head i got did not come with the caps, but i will call the guy later to see if he might have em....but worst case scenerio, i wonder if the 2g caps will work the same?


Cam caps are not interchangable. If you got a head with no cam caps its worthless. You would have to have it line honed and that will cost more than a used bare head.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tom N. said:
Cam caps are not interchangable. If you got a head with no cam caps its worthless. You would have to have it line honed and that will cost more than a used bare head.
ok, thats exactly what i wanted to know...thanks.....i really hope this guy has the caps...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool so i spoke to the guy and he has the caps for me to go get.....so now its just a matter of takin the head to a machine shop and building it......

just to double check and make sure....this is what i plan on using, please comment and let me know if i will be good.....

stock springs w/ titanium retainers or stick with stock retainers??
1mm os valves
stock rockers
3g lifters or revised lifters
do you guys think i should run a multi layer HG since i will be replacing it being that the head will be off anyway??
arp bolts
as far as valve stems, guides..etc.....should i just go with mitsu oem???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
Undsptddsm said:
cool so i spoke to the guy and he has the caps for me to go get.....so now its just a matter of takin the head to a machine shop and building it......

just to double check and make sure....this is what i plan on using, please comment and let me know if i will be good.....

stock springs w/ titanium retainers or stick with stock retainers??
1mm os valves
stock rockers
3g lifters or revised lifters
do you guys think i should run a multi layer HG since i will be replacing it being that the head will be off anyway??
arp bolts
as far as valve stems, guides..etc.....should i just go with mitsu oem???
I always use oem gaskets from now on. I've tried a "other" brand gasket kit, and it wasn't a happy ending if you know what I mean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
Dyesin, you used the steel gaskets? I was gonna get some for when I go to put on a new head gasket. Which one busted out on you and what are you running now? Sorry admins, dont mean to jump post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
I had some valve seals go bad that weren't oem. Also, a front case gasket that didn't seal. This is why I only use oem parts from now on. I can rest assured that it was made for this specific engine model. That dsm is gone now. It had lots of others problems as well; such as overheating for no apparent reason and drinking coolant(head gasket). It also smoked upon startup and leaked oil all over the place. After all this, I bought another dsm.
Boost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dyesin said:
I always use oem gaskets from now on. I've tried a "other" brand gasket kit, and it wasn't a happy ending if you know what I mean.

cool, so i'll stick with the oem stuff.....thanks for all the help guys...
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top