DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be changing out a worn 1G (2.0 Non-Turbo) Engine Mount soon. The one I will be changing is the one closest to the firewall. (I already replaced the one closest to the radiator) I took a quick look at the one in question and noticed a lot of wires/hoses and other things in the way between the engine and the firewall. Anyone know the best way to access this mount? Under? Over? Take a few things off? Disconnect a few things to get them out of the way?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Probably the easiest route would be under. Atleast when I looked it seems that way. Seems like not too much is in the way going underneath and taking it out. Going from the top seems to hard since you have to move stuff out of the way and then trying to reach down to get it loose.

·
Banned
158 Posts
The top is a much easier way to go about changing that mount. Take tha battery, battery holder (part under battery) the bracket that holds it. You should have very good acces to it at this point. You should pay 70 bucks for a polyurithane set. They will last alot longer than the stock rubber ones, and they are cheaper too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
With the polyurethane they need to be pressed in the old mounts pressed out. So buying them isn't a issue its finding someone to put them in. Top is only easy if you can get it all loose. The mount is pretty low. Even taking out the battery and all will not give you room to reach both arms to loosen the bolts. From the bottom just jack up the car, put jack stands and reach. From the top you would need to reach over your fender not getting a real support to remove the mount. Plus look how much stuff you have to take out to get to it. I don't see how thats an easier method (going from the top) when you have to take stuff apart unlike the going underneath approach.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bryan and White,

Thanks for the quick replies! Didn't mean to start a engine mount debate... Ha!
I think what I'm going to try is start by going after it from underneath if for no other reason than trying to avoid taking things apart that are above and to the side of it. (Besides, if I take the battery out, I'll lose all my pre-set stations on my stereo right? and that's what's really important-just kidding)

I know that I may have to end up going at it from above as well, seeing as how so many projects on my Talon require getting 10 things out of the way to get to 1. (Except for spark plugs-very easy)

bryan,

I have heard about the poly-inserts but unfortunately, I had bought a complete set of mounts before I knew that poly was an option. At this point, anything is better than the wobbly engine I had hanging on by the top and transmission mounts.

Thanks again guys!

·
Honorary Moderator
1,969 Posts
Moving to Gen. Tech. to get more views, since the mounts are the same on all 1G 2.0 models.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I had success getting to the mount from the top. The best way I found is to use all of your ratchet extensions and hook them up together. Hopefully you have enough so the ratchet handle extends above the intake manifold. The extensions can fit through the wires and hoses easily. To get at the side bolt, it works best to have the battery out, which also makes room to pull the mount out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks DRW,

I do, in fact, have a number of ratchet extensions and it sounds like a good idea. I may change out my egr valve as well while I have the battery/battery holder removed. (In spite of wanting to try going at the mount from underneath, I figure in the long run, that doing it from above will probably be the way to go)

PC Talon,

Thanks for moving the thread to a better spot. Was not exactly sure where to post the original question...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts