DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Elite DSMtalker
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so i'm totally the worst son ever..... kind of.

here's the situation. my dad has a 98 tsi fwd. he hates it ever since it has crankwalked and the car hasn't rally performed right ever since. it just seems like it doesn't have what little top end it used to anymore. on the other hand my car is slowly turning into a little monster and with the possibility of a new 16g on the way i'd love to be able to spool it a tad quicker with the 2g exh mani. the problem is that my dad's car will be rather undriveable w/o the manifold on it.

so here's the idea. i take my dad's manifold off of his car, then drill out the two lower and outer holes on my 1g mani so that they'll fit over the 10mm studs on the 2g head. since the 2g mani needs ground down a little bit on the ps pump side i figure that means that the 1g should have excess room over on that side.

so essentially all i should need to do is to drill out the two holes for the bigger studs to get the 1g mani on the 2g correct??

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
why would you want to downgrade to a 1g mani? there's a reason so many 1st gen owners (including myself) upgrade to a 2nd gen manifold. you can get one for around 125 bucks if you look around... i would think the more restrictive manifold would make the turbo spool a tad slower, but i'm not positive. i threw my 1st gen mani away cause it was cracked and leaked, so upgrading to a ported 2nd gen i didn't really have anything to compare to :dunno:

·
Elite DSMtalker
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no no no

i'm putting my 1g mani on my dad's brokedick 2g, so that i can put his 2g manifold on my 1g.

i benefit, he has to suffer a little more lag, but comeon its a t-25 you sneeze at the pedal and its fully spooled.

·
Elite DSMtalker
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, laughers, screamers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon

that is honest to god the best movie ever for making your brain hurt while drunk

hell if you're real drunk its kinda scary at times.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
mavisky said:
but comeon its a t-25 you sneeze at the pedal and its fully spooled.

LOL

ok, i'm a dolt and i just read it wrong. it should bolt on, but i am not sure 100%. the only way to know for sure is swap them and try it. put your mani on his car first because if there are fitment issues, it will be yours gonig on to his car. and while the 2g is off, take a dremmel and a carbide bit, and port it out :) and do it overnight or something, and i doubt he would even notice the difference if you work fast enough :D

does he know you are going to do this? :p

·
Elite DSMtalker
5,037 Posts
mavisky said:

that is honest to god the best movie ever for making your brain hurt while drunk

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
mavisky said:

i've seen parts of that movie a little more than "just" drunk... yes it can be extremely scary. hunter s thompson has one HELL of a crazy mind... if you get a chance, read his book "the great shark hunt" it's just a bunch of short stories about random shit he's done... fear and loathing was just one weekend trip to las vegas... there's WAY more than that :) the kentucky derby was a weird one... and there's a bunch of political scandal type stuff i'm not real interested in (not much interest in our govt to be perfectly honest...) but there's a bunch of other stories that make it worthwhile, as well as a background for fear and loathing :)

i still think the greatest movie though, is The Wall. can't beat that :) it's kinda weird that today i get about a half a dozen pm's about my sig, and its been that way for a while now :dunno: :)

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
venom42 said:

I plan to upgrade to a 2G soon to replace my leaky manifold, but I was under the impression that porting an exhaust mani was simply too big a job for the Dremmel?
worked fine on my dremmel. just be sure you have a good bit to do it with, maybe 2 of them. it will take a little longer than a bigger grinder, but gets the job done. took me about 4-5 hours with a few brakes to go swimming and cool off for a while :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Why pay for something you can do yourself. I don't see why it won't fit, and all you need is a drill and some bits to port. It's not really that difficult. Juts mark what you want to do and grind away. If you just can't deal with the porting, then go for the expensive way...

·
Elite DSMtalker
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brandon92DSM said:
I dunno...it would be half the work to just nut up and buy an EVO III manifold and put that on your car, and not have to tear apart your dad's already sad car to put a shitty 1G manifold on it.

well i would except i need shocks, tires, and the 1g as well, and a free manifold is a free manifold.

·
Registered
543 Posts
No you need one of those Hard-core electric drills. Actually it was 4 in the morning when I posted that. So I wasn't quite thinking completely logical, But I will say that I have ported an 02 with a drill and it didn't take all that long. Now I have access to air tools:drool: so everything is a lot easier to do now....my buddy at work has a beautiful porting kit from Mac tools. Man do they make nice stuff...I am the only one at my work that isn't in thousands of dollars of debt to those tool trucks. However I have no tools:(. Oh well...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts