DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but couldn't find an answer to my questoin. This might be a stupid question so please forgive me. I just wanted to know if I could use a 1g intake manifold in my 2g without porting my head? I know that porting my head will give me the best results out of the 1g intake manifold but I just wanted to know if this is possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
yes it is possible and can be done but it will not help much if any at all because you will be bottlenecking the air comming in.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
me and a firend installed one on his car (95 GSX), and it seemed to give him more power. But we put on both a 1g TB and intake Manifold. It wasn't a day and night difference..........but there was more pull.

·
Registered
423 Posts
yeah i got a 1g throttle body and i am thinking about getting a manifold from a 1g and putting them both on.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GSXtsy said:
me and a firend installed one on his car (95 GSX), and it seemed to give him more power. But we put on both a 1g TB and intake Manifold. It wasn't a day and night difference..........but there was more pull.
GSXtsy, how much difference did your friend notice from the upgrade? I've been told that in order to get the full effect from the 1g intake you must port your head. Did the intake help him on low end torque? Let me know.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I believe that it will actually hurt the performance because the runners are bigger on the intake manifold then neck down to the head. Because it's a step between the intake manny and the head, there's alot of turbulence going into the motor, which is bad.

Now if you got your head ported to match, that would help. I think the best thing to do would be to extrude hone your stock manny and use the 1G throttle body.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I did the same thing, but ended up pulling it off. The whole coil pack thing was a pain in the ass. If I were you I would get the 1g coilpack also. Where you from in Illinois?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Yeah, there was difently power gains. I would say more mid to high end then low though. It was a ported 1g so it was really big, and his head is stock, and it gave him more power. So, I wouldn't be worried about losing power, he didn't. It would proabably make a world of difference if he would have gotten his head ported, but he had a 1g manifold lying around, so we just put it on one night. He is happy with it. I have to argee witht he 1g coil idea......his stock coils are kinda just lying ontop of all his vaccum lines with no place to go. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
31 Posts
1g Manni

Are you talking about Justins car?

i did feel moderate gains with the intake manni, but wait until you upgrade the turbo and other componates before doing a intake the stock 2g manni is good to 12's ive read.

Dave Durfee

·
Registered
666 Posts
hmmmmm........ interesting.....

i was under the impression that the 1G intake manifold will bolt onto a stock 2G head, but that the ports do not line up.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Raped said:
they line up but the manifold ports are larger
To better word what he was saying - the 2G head ports are smaller than the larger 1G intake manifold's runners.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I went with a near total 1g swap on my 2g. I have the TB, intake mani, coil pack, igniter, wires and CAS. The difference in port sizes is an enormous difference in my opinion. And everything lined up nice and pretty.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
talonted_one said:
I went with a near total 1g swap on my 2g. I have the TB, intake mani, coil pack, igniter, wires and CAS. The difference in port sizes is an enormous difference in my opinion. And everything lined up nice and pretty.
Talented, how hard was it to install the CAS on your 95? I heard that you have to switch around a few plugs in order for it to work with the 95 ECU! What year CAS did you use?

·
Registered
423 Posts
i hear all this talk about the difference in size from intake runers to head ports causng turbulence, can anybood back this up or state why it wouldnt matter?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts