DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so after months of fixing my dsm, I got it all together finally
Its got leaks and stuff but I'll take care of that later

I've tested 5 different MAF's and none of them "work". On the afc, there is no signal on the hertz and same with the logger. It says 0 no matter what.

My ECU is chipped for a 2G MAS. I've got 2 2G's, 1 galant one with the same pigtail as the 2G, and 2 1G MAF's

Tried them all, no signal from either one. It was working before kinda. IT would work and then some times it didn't. Now I get NO signal

Mods include

Small 16g
wally 255
Aeromotive AFPR
AFC 1
Wideband
Logger
Chipped ECU with 680cc injectors but I got 850cc's in the car :D

At idle, the car runs retardedly rich. It's around 10.5-11.5 afr.

I downloaded that chart off of tuners where you can input your own fuel pressure, injector size, ect and it gives you the correction

It says from 680's to 850's I should have a correction of about -20.

Set that all the way across and let it idle for 10-15 mins and my LTFT didn't change at all from 88%

I got a mad exhaust leak cause I forgot to put in a gasket. But would this cause me not to be able to rev past 2.5k?

If I smash on it, the car sputters and acts like it can't get it up!

Also, checked to see if all my plugs are firing and they are. The 1st one had oil all over it.. Any input??

Timing is all over the place but I would like to get the car running decently and drive it to autozone and tune it more there, set the timing and other misc things

You guys never let me down, help a dsm'r out :cool:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Check the ECU if you have leaking caps. Do a compression check and leak down if needed. No signal from the MAF indicates something wrong in the ECU especially when you have tried 5 other MAF. Did you use the 1G to 2G plug and play harness or cut and tapped yourself?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Previous owner did the wiring. I haven't really checked if the actual wiring itself is ok, but he tapped it so theres both maf plugs in :)

I put the 2g on the intake pipe and ran it. No hertz at all but when I plugged in the 1g maf at the same time, it ran a lilttle better

But still no signal. It does get it some time but its low. Highest its gone I think is 70 hz

Also, the afc don't pick it up no hertz either

Ecu is good I guess. I had it checked out. I had another ecu from a 1990 gst non eprom for a lil bit and that didn't pick up the signal.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also the intake manifold was hot and so was every pipe including the intercooler HOT as fuck

I know the timing is off by a couple of teeth, but I'm going to fix the timing, do a compression test and check for boost leaks

·
Registered
553 Posts
If timing is off then that might be the problem. Off by a few teethes is no laughing matter. Check and see the ECU wiring for the SAFC MAF wire is tight ( the one that you have to cut and connect to the SAFC).

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been tempted to buy a maf translator soon but that's just more money. I just want to be able to drive this damn thing

I've been through so much dumb bullshit and this is pissing me off. Car worked fine then a few months later, shit starts breaking down piece by piece

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I get signal on the afc now but still nothing from the logger

I forgot I had a 93 ecu in my 90. So I switched around the pins and still idled like crap. Tach is all fucked up now.

Worked fine before so I don't know even without the wires switched

It is still running pig fucking rich. Had the afc zero'd out and afr was around 10ish the whole time

-20 across the board and it still had no effect

Still gotta time the bitch, fix some leaks..

Either way, no maf signal WTF!!

Anyone think if going to a gm maf would work instead?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Sounds like the problem lies within the wiring, not the actual MAF sensor itself. Go over all the wiring very closely. The reason your car runs like shit when you give it gas, is because the ECU has NO idea how much air is entering the engine, so it just floods the motor with fuel.

Start by checking the wiring for the MAF. Find that problem, and the rest should fix themselves.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I still need to fix this damn thing

I went over the wiring and it is all good. I think/ am sure that it is wired right..

I kinda fixed the problem before. When I connect the airflow wire (where the pink and orange go to on the afc) the car ran ok and I would get signal but then if I connected the afc back, I would get no signal yet the afc did

So now I'm back again and I just tried the same thing and now if I wire the airflow wire again, I don't get signal

No signal on the logger nor afc. The afc hertz stay at 3

I put the afc back on by connecting the pink and orange and same results from above

Any suggestions? When I got time, I am remove the afc and rewire it again probably :(!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Yeah this was kind of a pain yesterday^^^ I'm pretty positive it's wired correctly, as it has worked before and all the connections are good. I don't understand why it's happening. No MAF signal on the logger wouldn't have anything to do with the AFC wiring would it? It's a pain in the nuts man, we've been at this car for months.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
< I needa needs some Gonja!!

RIght & even with the afc disconnected and the ECU wired back normal, I still get no hertz at all

Anyone? Maybe its the turbo gone bad :chair:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
You and I both know, that turbo is gone good :p Do you think it could be that the ECU is wired incorrectly since this one is from a 93?

Aren't you supposed to be picking me up??? Call my house douchebag!

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so its been a long battle with the car

I took out the ECU and AFC completely and wired everything back to normal, stock 450cc injectors, ecu blah

My car is a 90 but I had a 93 ecu in there so I had to swap pins.. But right now its still wired for a 93 and I got a 90 ecu in there... WOuld that cause it to not idle cause I even tried to put another 93 ecu in and it does the same!!!

Car starts and then dies. IT won't hold idle for shit but it will if you step on the gas. It struggles to get up to high rpm so I don't even try WOT

I replaced the TB cause I broke one of the pins for the ISC I believe? Its on top..

It would start then die right away but now it takes a few seconds for it to die
I can't find my compression tester but that next on my list.

I head erratic clicking when the ignition is on the on position and I hear like coolant/oil dropping in the engine? Blown head gasket? Would that cause it to die? I thought the car would still be driveable but not for too long if that was the cause

I hear the injectors clicking everyone inna whiile too, is that normal?

I will try and get a vid so you guys know what I'm talking about...

I can't think of anything else...

·
Registered
938 Posts
Hook up your AFC again and make sure you have all the sensor types correct. I did this once on my car and it did exactly the same thing, except the AFC showed no airflow. I'm sure you checked this already but it wouldn't hurt to check it again.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Man FUCK THAT AFC
I completely disconnected it and I know for a fact I had them right
Karman
2 cyl with arrow pointing up

I forgot what else but I know it did. And if you go to sensor check, all the numbers would change constantly which would mean the sensors worked

I got link now but thanks to some asshole, shit isn't going like I wanted too. I was hoping to use some of its features to sI'll check with the logger if I have any signal cause I forgot to check thatlim down my chances

Its not holding idle and I already tried fucking with the BISS screw and it doesn't really do much

Would a blown headgasket be causing this? What are some symtoms besides the obvious...

I'm going to drain the oil and check for coolant later

·
Registered
938 Posts
Doesn't sound anything like a blown headgasket. Check for continuity on the circuit (measure the resistance of the wire at the plug and at the ecu plug).

·
Registered
938 Posts
I had my AFC hooked up with the settings atL Karmen, 4 cyl, and the arrow pointing up. I don't think you having it set at 2 cyl would screw up the karmen reading like that.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was getting the wrong RPM's on 4cyl and I read somewhere if you put it on 2cyl, I will elimintate that problem which it did

On my friends 90 awd, his afc is set to 4cyl and the Rpm's read right on the afc but on mine it won't

I duno but yeah

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
forgot to mention I have FP2 cams in... Would that make a difference? If I disconnect the maf, the car runs shitty but stable

I had a fellow dsm'r help me out today and we worked on teh car for like 4 hours and couldn't come to a conclusion. We checked alot of things and I adjusted timing

Also, when I was inside the car revving, he told me the fuel pressure would drop to about 20psi. I have the fuel pressure on stock 450cc's at 38ish psi... Is that too low for cams? Not getting enough fuel?

Vacuum is very low like 10s probably then it dies...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts