DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to but a 1ga/b shell, and was just wondering where are the common spots to look for rust on the 1g. I was thinking maybe since i am in the northeast the rocker panels would be a great hiding spot for the rust.. any other areas? Plus i need the posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Shock towers, bottom of driver door, rear hatch, those are common but also check the wheel wells.. Those are where I've found most the rust on the dsm's I've seen..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well since the shell I have is free from rust, but I've worked on so many that aren't, I'll add some input. Most 1G rust is confined to the rear quarters (underbody as well), front fenders, trunk, around the hatch, and some along the rockers. They don't seem to have the strut tower rust that 2G's have, so the engine bays don't seem to be a problem.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
corwin said:
Plus i need the posts
Gotta watch comments like that, man. If the mods think that you're post whoring, they may send you on a Vacation because of our high spam volume of late.

But I'll agree with the post above mine, and just add to check the top of the trunk lid, by the spoiler; Seen it start rusting around the bolt holes before.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the warming. I currently own a 91 gsx, i like the flip ups but the body is pretty beat. I dont know what i was thinking when i got it because the roof has plenty of little dents and pings, hood was originally red but was rattled canned black, driver side fender has got a nice scrape with rust between the front bumper, rot just above the the driver side rocker panel, and rot in the driver side rear wheel well. So i just wanted a rough idea what to look for when i go 1g shell shopping in New England. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
Main spots I would say are the rear quarter panels as well as the rockers. When you open the doors check the lower corners and where the switch/button is that lets the interior lights come on. The rear subframe can get really bad as well. Also be sure to check the brake a fuel lines, they are usually worse towards the rear, at the top. I would also suggest finding a car with little or no mods done. You'll have less chance of getting something that has been hacked or have things missing or installed wrong.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I've seen it around the rear wiper on the hatch, I've seen it around the wheel wells in the rear, I've seen it under the side skirts where water and dirt can get trapped, and I HAVE seen rust on the shock towers on 1g's.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i found a 92 Lazer which is in pretty good condition for it being a north east car. I decided to strip clean then swap interiors because it had the funky red in it and i was not a fan, so then i pulled everything cleaned it, and decided while im here why not clean the little rust spots. So i was was sanding where the rear seats usually go right where the plugs go its completely rusted :( should i just make the holes bigger and use i bigger plug???

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Check to make sure your hatch area is draining properly. My first two DSM's had small amounts of standing water in there from when it would rain. Standing water usually isn't the greatest thing.

Other than that, it seems like most of these guys have the common spots covered. My old N/T had so many rust problems...both wheelwells, passenger side door, and a half dollar sized spot by the fuel door on the quarter panel.

·
Registered
229 Posts
corwin said:
Thanks for the warming. I currently own a 91 gsx, i like the flip ups but the body is pretty beat. I dont know what i was thinking when i got it because the roof has plenty of little dents and pings, hood was originally red but was rattled canned black, driver side fender has got a nice scrape with rust between the front bumper, rot just above the the driver side rocker panel, and rot in the driver side rear wheel well. So i just wanted a rough idea what to look for when i go 1g shell shopping in New England. Thanks

Well then you already knew what all the rust spots were from personal experience! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts