DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do ALL 1g 4g63 M/T starters fit ALL other M/T's (irregardless of turbo/non-turbo 6 or 7 bolt motors) and likewise for A/T starters fitting all other A/T cars?

The reason I ask is I'm thinking about ordering a turbo A/T starter for my N/T A/T car.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
93_GSX said:
Didn't you start a different thread asking basically the same question?

Do you know the Answer?

Someone in another thread indicated that ALL 1g A/T starters fit all othe A/T cars and same for M/T's fitting ALL other M/T's but like mentioned I need to know for sure so I don't wind up with another used starter that doesn't fit my car.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
teamongen said:
Go on to autozone.com or kragen.com and just do a match on M/T and A/T starters. Only difference I notice is the flywheel.
I really don't want to rely on matching part #'s from those places and I MIGHT be buying a used starter from a member here and need to know asap so If anyone has the answer to this question it is appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone else?

Will a starter from a turbo car work in N/T car? Are there different starters for 1g 6 bolt and 7 bolt motors or are they the same?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Manual transmission 4G63 starters are the same whether they're turbo or not. Automatic 4G63 starters are the same whether they're turbo or not. You cannot use an automatic starter on a manual car, and vice versa. Hope this FINALLY helps!!!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
4g63rwd said:
Manual transmission 4G63 starters are the same whether they're turbo or not. Automatic 4G63 starters are the same whether they're turbo or not. You cannot use an automatic starter on a manual car, and vice versa. Hope this FINALLY helps!!!
Almost :) Are there diffrent starters for 6-bolts and 1g 7-bolts?

·
Registered
493 Posts
I believe the starters are different between the 6 and 7 bolts. But since you have a 6 bolt, you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
4g63rwd said:
Yes. I was talking about ALL 1G's. 6 or 7 bolt 1G starters are the same, but remember: auto=auto. 5 speed= 5 speed.
Ok thanks guys now I can order a used starter without TOO MUCH worry :)

BTW a reputable used dsm parts guy in my area shipped me the wrong starter and then told me that THERE ARE different starters for 6 + 7 bolt motors and thats why his didn't work right in my car :confused:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I've done a few 1G 6 bolt swaps into cars that came 7 bolt from the factory (1993+1994 awd talons). I used the same starter that was attached to the 7 bolt engine when it came out, no changes.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
4g63rwd said:
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I've done a few 1G 6 bolt swaps into cars that came 7 bolt from the factory (1993+1994 awd talons). I used the same starter that was attached to the 7 bolt engine when it came out, no changes.
So the guy probably sent me a M/T starter? :confused: because it bolted right up and started the car but wouldn't disengage fully so it was making a coffee grinding sound with engine running. Does that sound like what would happen if you put a M/T starter into an A/T car or just a bad starter? Because I swapped solenoids and got the same results. Now I have no idea if it's bad or for a M/T so I can't re-sell it either. I suppose if I took it to autozone and tested it and it's good I could ASSUME it's for a M/T ???

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
*Update*

Bought a used turbo a/t starter and put it in my N/T a/t car and now have big problems :mad: It starts the car BUT it does not disengage ?fully? from flywheel so I hear it making noise while going down the road etc. Bad starter OR are there incompatabilty issues with turbo-n/t 6-7 bolt starters. I'm a little frustrated right now because the feedback in this thread indicated no such problems. This is my 2nd used starter that doesn't disengage from flywheel so I'm :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I gotta tell you, I think your problems are deeper than we all realize. Sounds like something else is going on in there, but it could be a few things....

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
4g63rwd said:
I gotta tell you, I think your problems are deeper than we all realize. Sounds like something else is going on in there, but it could be a few things....
My old starter that I just took out didn't have any issues with disengaging from flywheel or making any type of noises :confused:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
*Another Update

My latest used starter wasn't disengaging from flywheel like previously mentioned so I ran it that way for about a week until it ground all the teeth down and then stopped working altogether lol. Popped in my old original starter which works sometimes (and when it doesn't banging it with a pipe does the trick :)) and what I need to know now is what is the absolute cheapest I can get a brand new starter for on this 1g 2.0 N/T A/T?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.