DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I took my car out for a spin we went out to a stop sign and reved it up then hit L gear the worked fine. Then i go home and parked the car. THen when i get back in it i start the engine and every thing seems good. Then when i shifted into D some thing made a loud bang, then like 10 feet forward I lost more than 50% of the power on 1St Gear. The car wont move much. So I put it in L and it worked fine. Im thinking my tranny is about to die on me. What could be the problem?

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,849 Posts
Are you saying you reved your car up on netural, then you dropped into L, and now your wondering why it's broken?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im guessing that what I did was wrong. I have done that around 5 times now. It seemed to work fine every time i did it.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Yes, it was wrong. I believe that's what they call a "neutral drop" and it will destroy your transmission quickly.

·
Registered
245 Posts
lol :D , thats a quick way to kill the tranny.

Why would you do something like that when you are not well informed. I always try to find information about something before I do it, so I know if its ok or not.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Than how is it suposed to be done?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I went out to try to see if what was on the sticky would work. Here is what i did, I made a stop put it on 2nd THen hold the brakes, press the gas. The only problem is that i tried to get it to 3,500 or so rev's but the freaking car would only go up to 2,500 and that did not seem like a good start to me. i also tried it in L and still the same thing, i think its becuase my tranny is so messed up that its not working as it should. Did i do this right?

·
Registered
152 Posts
if your powerbraking the car, you will not get to 3500 rpm. you can try though...

oh, yeah, start saving for that new tranny your going to need because yours is going to die....

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
nano said:
I could powerbrake my stock torque converter to 3800rpm. With enough power it's possible :D ...
I agree, before I blew my turbo on a cold night (30-40 degreese) I could powerbreak up to about 3500 rpms on the t-too small and stock T/C. Now I can't watie for my Big 28 to get here, so I can have some real fun:D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Why not just cut to the chase - get a 44 Magnum & shoot the freaking tranny if you want to kill it that bad.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so would just reving it up to about 2,500 rpms be a good start?

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
dyablo said:
so would just reving it up to about 2,500 rpms be a good start?
from what I can gather about 3700-3800 rpms is the ideal place to lanch at on an a/t, any higher and your start to run into wheel spin, any lower and you bog comming out of the whole. I personaly can lauch at 3500 rpms with my stock t/c, but that may change when I get my big t-28 installed(hopefuly some time this week) Nano has been able to powerbreak to 3800 on the stock t/c, and 4000 or higher on his upgraded one. Some stock dsm's won't powerbreak beyond 2500. Is your car turbo? what mod's do you have? The more torque you make, and the quicker your turbo spools are two big factors in how high your car will powerbreak.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im basicly stock other than the K&N filter with hacked air can, and a flowmaster muffler. And no i dont have a turbo.

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
dyablo said:
Im basicly stock other than the K&N filter with hacked air can, and a flowmaster muffler. And no i dont have a turbo.
Well, then there isn't much you can do. If its a N/T A/T, then I wouldn't recomend the money on trying to make it faster by spending tons of cash on a high stall t/c or any thing like that. Just start saving you money for a turbo dsm is all I can tell you:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts