DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s a long story...

I was the middle car of a three-car accident when a girl rear-ended me at a red light. The impact pushed me into the car in front of me, sandwiching my car in the middle.

Total damage was estimated at $2,500 dollars. I settled with her insurance company for $2,800 (includes rental car) after a month of arguments and lawsuit threats. I then picked up the phone and order the "drift" front bumper "drift" side-skirts from StreetWeapon Composites. It took at total of 4 months to get my parts. I was seriously jerked around and was told stories of how it would be one more week and when the day came, the pieces hadn't arrived.

When the pieces where initially fitted to the car it was evident the workmanship was not top quality. The front bumper required major modifications to get it to fit and the gel coat on the bumper and side-skirts was riddled with pinholes and cracks. Body filler had to be used as a sandable prep surface for paint to adhere and look good. It took almost 2 weeks to finish the damage repairs, which included a new hood and new full-body paint job. After all the time, effort, and money spent at a body shop, I am extremely pleased with the outcome. Retrospectively, I would have never gone this route if I had known it was going to take a total of 5 months to repair my car after the accident.

You can see pictures of the car after the accident and after the dift kit install at:

http://photos.yahoo.com/atkengineer/lst?.dir=/Car+Pictures

Zach

·
Registered
486 Posts
Link doesnt work.... wants me to "sign in"

·
Registered
749 Posts
should of stayed stock and got a bad ass paint job, p.s. link dont work for me either

peace

·
Registered
61 Posts
man you need to drop that bitch really bad, some new rims definitely need a rear bumper and toss an aftermarket spoiler on there and you'd make some serious progress , maybe some clear corners for the front but it's a nice start

·
Registered
749 Posts
you need some 17's, 1.5 inch drop, and your car will be rolling :p

peace

·
Registered
305 Posts
I hate the side skirts. I think the stock ones look fine with the drift front. Thats what I'm planning on. But the rear has to be changed but not the drift rear thats fugly.

·
Registered
205 Posts
ive said it before and ill say it again, i actually like the drift sides and rear, i do think you should get some diff. rims and drop it tho, that would look sick.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I too like the drift front and side-skirts but not the drift rear bumper. All the trouble I went through with these pieces would have been doubled if I had gotten the rear bumper as well. I think it looks decent with the stock rear end, the paint job gives it a good line to the rear. I would agree with eveyone and say I NEED some rims! You can't see it very well in the pictures but I painted the center gunmetal gray and left the polished lip untouched. It's a little better than stock but not by much. My tires are going bald so I'll upgrade the whole package and get rims with new tires.

I don't think I can lower the car beyond stock ride height though. The front already scrapes a bit at driveways, ect... I could get "Ground Control" coilovers which would give some adjustability to the ride height but that would be a p.i.t.a since its still a daily driver and I would be constantly raising and lowering. I'm hoping that the 17's I get will fill the fender gap more.

I'm open to other sugestions.:D

·
Registered
143 Posts
ATKChemist said:
I don't think I can lower the car beyond stock ride height though. The front already scrapes a bit at driveways, ect...
I think this is a huge reason why most people won't put this kit on a 1g. The drift front end might look awesome but the complete look, lowered and all without sacrificing drivability, is virtually impossible.

Good luck in what you do, I'd suggest darker wheels without a polished lip, as you're less likely to see the stock fender gap with the minimal contrast of a black wheel/tire/fenderwell.

Jason

·
Registered
749 Posts
or you could get some 18's, ive seen quite a few 1st gens with 18's and no rubbing ;)

peace

1 - 16 of 16 Posts