DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get new tires right now, the one i'm currenly using are 205/55/16's on the stock gst 5 spoke rims. I thought 225's were a little excessive, so i was thinking 215's, but which # sidewall should i get?

Only ones i've seen available are 215/45/16's (which kumho doesn't have in that size), or 215/55/16's.... Which tires size should i get?

I'm more into highway and corners, so the 225's are too much, especially my front camber is off and i'm not planning on correcting it so i'd imagine a buldging sidewall won't be good. But i'm not going back to 205's cuz it makes the car look weird. Please help.

·
Elite DSMtalker
3,738 Posts
if you have 6-6.5" rims go with 205's, 7" and up go with 225-235. trust me you'll be just fine.

if you really are stuck on 215's though a 55 sidewall won't cause any major issues.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i have 205/55s on my rears right now and there nankang, i have some pirelli roso 215/55s on the front.

if ur into highway and corners get something better than kumho! my nankangs suck and if you dont know about tires well there pretty much the same tire regardless when your in the low end of the brands. ive had the pirellis twice as long and they have half as much wear....and there the friggin tires getting the beating (FWD car)

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have pirelli's right now.... when i bought them mounted and balanced was nearly $600..... then i came on dsmtalk and discovered the kumho ecstas....

I've heard many good things about them, and they're dirt cheap. I could actually afford to do a standing launches since they're so cheap. The pirelli's lasted a long time w/ a really bad camber (almost 2 years), but the grip sucks, i can't imagine the kumho's being any worse.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I run 225/50/16's for road racing...................they are perfect...

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Was the stock tire size not a 55 sidewall? I could have sworn mine were 205/55-16?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Yeah, on a 2G GS-T they are. I don't know about others.

I also just ran across the "Aftermarket Wheel and Tire FAQ" for DSMs here. Some good info there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
215/50/16's do exist, they come stock on both my other car a 99 Mercury Cougar and also standard on SVT Contours. You can get that size in BFGoodrich KDW'S an awesome tire.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Kumho's are crap for corners.

They have the SOFTEST sidewalls this side of Good Year. Get something by Yokohama if you turn your wheel at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts