DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealership refused to do my ball joint recall because they said I was in spec. I was doing my clutch so I thought I would replace these while I was at it.

I got everything installed but I can't torque down the main bolt over the ball joint. It just spins not allowing me to torque it. I think it was supposed to bw torqued down to like 50 ft lbs or something can't remember. I tried lowering the car to see if pressure on the joint would allow me to torque it...nope didn't work.

Anybody know any tricks for torquing down ball joints??? Would appreciate the help ASAP. I just got my car running after 2 months and would like to have the clutch broke in before friday import drags, thanks.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
It seems kinda odd that a brand new ball joint would turn that easily. But, maybe if the locking nut is in good shape it turns really hard. Dunno.

Once the taper wedges into place it should stop turning. You may have to pirate a standard metric nut off of something else to pull the ball joint into place. Once secure, replace the standard nut with the locknut.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The trick is to apply pressure against the ball joint with a jack and then it will not turn on you. Shsshhh my little secret. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts