DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Site Administrator
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I have a pretty bad leak. Everyone loves pics:

-

-

-

-

Picture of the o-ring JNZ sent me to stop the leak on the CAS:

I've looked in the bible (FSM) and can't seem to find the location of this ring. I apparently don't have this o-ring installed and that's why it is leaking. Where does it go?

EDIT: It seems the FSM only calls for RTV on the head side? FSM page 9A-29.

·
Site Administrator
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've never seen a CAS wet with oil like that. I called all the auto parts stores and all they list is an o-ring. I can get a new 3 bolt gasket for the CAS, but that doesn't stop the source of the leak. The o-ring I have is about the size of a nickel. I have no idea where to put it.

EDIT: The only source I see for oil to get anywhere in the CAS is the channel leading up to it. If you look in the first picture, the notch in the CAS port is the only place it can come from.

·
Site Administrator
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This really sucks ass because I don't know how to fix it other than band aiding it with RTV. I'm paranoid that the oil will just pile up in there and not have anywhere to go other than when the car is not running. It's as if the oil is coming up through the head into the sensor.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
As far as I remember the seal should be on the cam, if not the head just like the front cam seals.... The sensor is mounted onto the backside of the cam where it protrudes through the head and valve cover.... It's been awhile since we did cam swaps. The cam should not leak if the the sensor was removed in other words...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Have also had this same exact leak! The cas had tons of oil in it sloping around, leaking out the 3x bolt cover was amazed the cas was still functioning. I put a nice ring of rtv on and its been good for about 2k miles and counting...

·
Registered
514 Posts
The ring is for the cam angle sensor. If you ordered "The O-ring or seal for the cam angle sensor" that's what Paul would have sent you (what you got). That seal fits of the cam angle sensor itself (the black, plastic piece that's bolted on to the housing with a 10mm bolt). What you're looking for is the Mitsubishi Sealant, or--just use Grey RTV.

That's all that's used to seal the CAS housing to the head from the factory as shown in the manual picture you posted above.

Hope this helps.

Josh

·
Site Administrator
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the post guys/Josh. Nice to see JNZ on 'Talk.

Here's the reply I made on Tuners:

HOT said:
The only place I can see where the oil can come from is the channel groove you can see leading up and into the CAS. I'm not saying I can't take the CAS apart and replace the o-ring, or remove and replace the RTV, but how is that going to fix it leaking out all over my head/block? I assume the gasket for the 3 bolt cover is supposed to help seal things from getting inside, but how is it supposed to stop oil under pressure? I imagine it's being shoved up there under boost.

The oil only leaked from inside the CAS housing, and from there it leaked out the 3 bolt cover and down onto the head and the block (tranny and everything else). It wasn't/isn't leaking from the backside of the CAS -> head area. So, to answer your question PEP, it's leaking at the 3 bolt cover, not behind the CAS/head area.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Dustin,

Sorry that I didn't see this earlier. I'm typically out in the shop and just hop on the forums when I get a chance.

The gasket on the front of the housing (3 bolt) is part number MD329503. If it's not too severely damaged/worn, you could always try a *THIN* coat of RTV to patch it in the meanwhile.

You already have the other seal for the CAS itself (MD622021), so the only other seal is on the back side where it seals to the head. If you're getting leakage out of the front cover, I would probably not only fix the 3-bolt cover gasket, but reseal the RTV on the rear where it sits against the head.

I grabbed a used one that was sitting back in the parts bin (please excuse the child-like use of Paint). You can see in the 2nd picture (arrow) where the groove is that you need to RTV.

Make sure that you clean off both surfaces (head and CAS) to remove the old RTV and oil.

You should be oil-free after that.

Josh

1 - 10 of 10 Posts