DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched and searched but can't seem to find a definitive answer on this-- maybe no one has found one yet.

My power door locks arent working on the passenger side so I took the whole door apart to get to the actuator. Took out the tiny motor and cleaned it out, but still no-go ( even though it looks like its in good shape???). It will work maybe once but then it kind of tires out. That is even before I hook up all the rods, which will add even more resistance.

I am looking for a replacement unit for it-- hopefully just the little motor instead of replacing the whole assembly (which I can just picture SATAN bending me over for).

Has anyone found a source for replacement motors? If not, can I use an after market unit which will work the same way as the factory one (locks/unlocks doors with either switch or latch)?

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
got it fixed...

new actuator from satan...$137
aftermarket actuator from website...$25
sifting through parts bin at local electronics store and finding suitable matching 12V motor...$1.95
not having to break out the vaseline...priceless

I think the mfg of the original motor is 'mabuchi', but I found a motor made by 'Johnson' which looked exactly the same. Hooked it up to 12V and had a decent amount of torque.

I basically destroyed my old motor to get the helical gear off the shaft (it does come off) and pressed it onto the shaft of the new motor with a vise. Make sure you have the motor leads connected to the right wires before soldering, otherwise the locks will move opposite of each other (one door will lock while the other unlocks, and vice-versa...of course I got it wrong so had to take the whole thing apart again).

Good luck-- check out the vfaq off the gulf coast club dsm site... very helpful although the pics didn't come up for me:
http://www.gc.dsm.org/faqs/doorlocks.htm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts