DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

621 - 625 of 625 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #621
No progress on a lift just yet besides stashing cash away.

I have installed the new wideband o2 sensor, installed the sun visor, and did a well over due cleaning of the paint- wash/clay/wax. I pulled out a lot of what felt like overspray on the rear bumper.

The paint work was so I could prep the car to be entered into Virginia Tech's bi-annual car show the car club hosts. I had entered the green car last year and enjoyed the show enough to return with the big guns. I had also done a wash/clay/wax prep on the 95 TSi so I could enter both cars side-by-side.

Low and behold it was worth it because one of them netted my first ever trophy at a car show... "Best Asian Import"

:dunno:

But I'll take it!

I have to assume it was the spyder.

Anyhow, the car performed fine en route to the show. I blipped the cutout open a few times and put it up to full "launching" boost a few times while at the show, once to set up the two-step. Needless to say, it drew a crowd and the admiration of a few of the ranking club members.

After receiving the trophy, getting wrapped up and heading back home, I had opened the cutout once more to make a some beautiful turbine noises on the way out. People had been safely letting their cars sing on the exit-path (not a traffic'd street) from the show. I received the command over the bull-horn to "FUCKING LAUNCH IT!"

Well, being satisfied with taking home an award for simply showing up with two near identical cars, it was time I proved that I may have deserved it. Up on the converter she went. Before I could hit the 3750rpm limiter which I'd literally set (untested) the last time I'd started the car, I was at 20+ psi.

I had never launched this car before at more than 5psi.

I dumped the brake and the turbo instantly loved the load. FULL BOOST LAUNCH!

All 4 wheels spin, car goes loose while still ripping forward as best it could.

I've never felt anything launch so hard while being squirly. It wasn't like a clutch dump at all! Just smoothly ripped the tires loose while launching forward like a monstrous rocket ship.

Very happy with how it all turned out. I'm also very happy that it can make a full boost launch and have traction issues. I'd only ever seen 2.3 60's out of this car and other auto/turbo cars (5.0 Fox Body Mustang w/ a C4 and twin Garrett T3s). This thing just ripped forward.

Until next time...

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Nice. I know I'm a few months late, but are you using the nitrous to launch it, or did you bite the bullet and get a restalled converter for it?

Glad to hear you're driving and enjoying it!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #623
Neither! I'm on a 2.3L stroker with the .55 BEP housing. It'll spin up the turbo without assistance of the nitrous or a restall!

Currently the bottle is still empty and has been since last August. I need to get it refilled and see how it helps out the time sitting on the brakes.

621 - 625 of 625 Posts