DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people

I recently got the new PMS chip upgrade that allows for a stutterbox function similar to the Todds Modz ECU upgrade. The instructions that came with the chip upgrade said that I need to connect a switched 12v line into a designated PMS terminal pin to enable the stutterbox functionality. I found the terminal pin, have got a wire connected to it ("PMS Wire") but am stuck with the other end of the connection.

I searched through the Talon Digest archives and noticed that the clutch interlock switch (the one that prevents the car from starting if you don't depress the clutch) goes +12v when the clutch is depressed. As a result, I tried to tap the PMS wire into the green wire going into the clutch interlock switch. Stutterbox didn't work. I then tried the same thing with the black wire going into the clutch interlock switch. Still no stutterbox. Confused, I then checked each wire going into the clutch interlock switch with a multimeter for +12v when I depressed the clutch (with key to on). Neither of them registered +12v yet my clutch interlock switch definitely works.

If anyone can give me some insight on what I've messed up in this process (preferably with a 1995 Talon AWD in mind) I would greatly appreciate it. My electrical skills are obviously trash and I'm aching for the stutterbox.

Thanx plenty in advance.

------------------
Cya O!
SPOOLIN!
http://www3.sympatico.ca/gstagno/index.htm

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I use the interlock switch for the 2-step on my MSD DIS-2 Ignition. The MSD requires one of its wires to be grounded for the 2-step to be activated, and the interlock switch does the opposite of what it needs. The interlock switchs works the opposite of how you would think it should work. It lets current through when it is NOT depressed, when you fully depress the pedal, the switch cut the current. What I ended up doing was cutting the switch out of its factory operation(I don't have to push in the clutch to start the car now) and using it for the 2-step, BUT I had to use a relay to make it essentially do the opposite of how it worked and be usable with the MSD.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a little confused.

Does this mean that I can tap into either of the two wires that are connected to the interlock switch and I should get a +12v (as opposed to a ground which the MSD requires) when I depress the clutch? Should I tap into a specific wire (ie. green OR black) and disconnect the other wire?

Thanx again.

------------------
Cya O!
SPOOLIN!
http://www3.sympatico.ca/gstagno/index.htm

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I dunno... If I were you, I would cut both wires on the interlock switch, and use it exclusively for your own purpose. You could hook one of the wires up to a +12V source and the other to your PMS, but I don't think that will work... It will be letting +12V through when it isnt't depresses, and let 0V through when you pushed the clutch in all the way. You need to use a relay to make the switch do the opposite and only let the +12V through when the clutch is fully depressed...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts