DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently had my car undergo nose and ass surgery(talon to eclipse front and rear bumper conversion) as well as a new coat of paint- please don't flame me for doing the swap, it's more for my personal taste. Anyways, I had read and searched many of the posts about doing the swap and what was needed. It surprised me when I installed the taillights that I found out that the brake lights wouldn't work. The turn signals and tail/parking lights worked fine. Through all the conversion topics, I had never read anything about this occurence.

Tools needed:
Screwdrivers
10mm socket/wrench
Small Needle or Safety Pin
Soldering gun/solder/heat shrink/heat gun
Electrical Tape

So on to find out what was going on.
I have a Talon Shop Manual, so I started scanning through the wiring diagrams for the tail, turn and stop lights. I found the first culprit in the wiring harness at the taillight. The white connector which plugs into the taillight doesn't quite match with how it's wired. The wire that sends voltage for the brake lights wasn't "plugged" into any terminal in the taillight. So I did some more studying and searching and came upon the difference between the two turn signal flashing units that were installed in the Talons and Eclipses. The Talon uses two wires to send signal for the brake(separate from the flasher) and turn signal lights. However, the eclipse uses just one wire to send both signals, thus the difference in the flashers. The flashing units are installed in the console, behind the stereo.

Talon:

Eclipse:

The easiest way to remove/install is to pull your console and stereo. It is located on the right hand side mounting area. To unbolt it, you need to drop your glovebox to access the 10mm bolt. Unplug the Talon flasher and plug-in and install the Eclipse flasher. This was the easy part.

Some of you may get to stop here, however, I couldn't. I tested my flasher, still no brake lights and when I turned on the key, the hazards started flashing. No input from the turn signal or flashers would change it. I got a print-out of the wiring schematic for the tail, turn and stop lights for the Eclipse. Comparing the schematics of the Talon and Eclipse, I found a couple small differences.

I've included pictures of the what I had to change in the wiring to make the taillights work - based on what I found in the schematics. While deciphering the schematics and routing of wires, I found out that the connectors used to send the signal to the back of the car are located behind the fuse box(located at the driver's side kick panel). There are three blue plugs and one black plug. The black connector is plugged into the back of the fuse box, while the others have corresponding blue plugs. One of the plugs may or may not being plugged into anything, it's used for the OE security system.

Here's a pic of the plugs re-wired:

On the small blue plug(6 wire plug) you need to cut the green wire located in the #2 location(always count the wire position looking at where they enter the connector - not on the side of where the two connectors go together - as well you count wire positions on the male plug). You then solder this together with the black wire(#19) that is located on the large 22 wire connector. What you are doing is sending the brake signal(when you press the brake) back up to the flasher unit. The black wire was originally used as a ground for the Talon's flasher.

The flasher still needs a ground, so I removed a wire from the security system connector and soldered it to the ground wire that I had cut. It needs to be inserted into position #7 on the large blue plug.

To remove the wires from the connectors, you need to remove the clip on the back of the plug and insert a needle/safety pin into the connector at the wire you want to remove. Be careful when removing the wires, it should not take any "real" force to get them out if you get the wire holder inside the connector released.

I realized after making the original cut and solder, that I could have just taken the ground wire(#19) and reinserted it at the #7 position on the big blue plug. This way you only have to solder one connection.

The flasher is now wired up correctly as what is shown in the Eclipse wiring diagrams. However, I found out a discrepancy in the shop manual for the Talon that could have caused me even more headaches if I didn't just trust that the schematics where 100% correct.

The schematics for both the Talon and Eclipse show that the wire leading to the plug for the tailight is a gray wire with either a blue or red stripe. They also show the wires coming off of the same connector(the large blue connector - position # 16 and 17, respectively). My car had Green wires with blue and red stripes and no wires in those locations. I found out that the my wires are located in the black plug seen in the picture above. I then removed them from the black connector and popped them into the large blue connector at the positions noted above(green/blue to #16, green/red to #17). It can be somewhat seen in the pic below.

After completing this rewire, I tested the brake lights with the ignition on/off. Tested the hazards with ignition on/off. And tested the turn signals with the ignition on and while depressing the brake pedal. Once everything works, tape it all back up and put your car back together.

·
Registered
144 Posts
so with this, you will have

marker/brake-turn/brake-turn ECLIPSE \brake-turn\brake-turn\marker

I've been trying to figure this out and bam you got it, now i need to spend some time with the harness and find the eclipse one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do you really need to do all that? Ive never heard or seen this way before when i talk to people about the swap..

·
Registered
144 Posts
ok, so it' been awhile and i spend the $54 for on this flasher unit. Now the OP said "plug and play" well take a look at this...

and this is the only relay on the right side behind the stereo...

unless im looking at the wrong one please help, as in your fist picture i do not have a white plug at the end of the harness for that said relay as its in a wireloom with a bunch of others...

·
Registered
478 Posts
There is another (probably cheaper) option for converting the Talon 3-wire rear lamp system to the Eclipse-style 2-wire system. Buy a "tail light converter" used for wiring a trailer harness and feed your 5 leads into its input side, and it outputs the correct 2-wire logic (4 wires) to illuminate Eclipse-style tails (this is the same wiring system used on 4-pin flat trailer harness plugs). Depending on seller, $8 and up. This avoids having to screw with the under-dash wiring and flasher unit, with all changes located at the rear bulkhead (easily reversible, too, should you ever wish to go back to your original Talon-style tail lights).

Video: http://www.etrailer.com/tv-helpful_hints_tow_ready_tail_light_adapter_118158.aspx

Cheapest(?): http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-47252/Detail
$8.18 at your True Value Hardware store. :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Wow now this explains why my tail lights don't work on my Eclipse swapped Talon. Awesome thread, now I can just swap back in Talon lights/bumpers and it'll work. At first I thought the braking sensor was bad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, but has anyone done the opposite. As in going from Eclipse to Talon? Since I don't have that harness that goes from the 3 prong flasher to the 10 pin connector i'm trying to make my own and I'm having trouble getting the turn signals/flasher to work.

·
Registered
117 Posts
ok, so it' been awhile and i spend the $54 for on this flasher unit. Now the OP said "plug and play" well take a look at this...

and this is the only relay on the right side behind the stereo...

unless im looking at the wrong one please help, as in your fist picture i do not have a white plug at the end of the harness for that said relay as its in a wireloom with a bunch of others...
I have the same setup. No white connector the plug and play the eclipse unit. Already purchased the eclipse part. I've also tried about 4 different trailer converters and all worked for a while but eventually fried themselves.

If I grab the pigtail for the eclipse unit would I be able to wire this correctly to work with the talon? I really want the stock eclipse light setup.

Marker -brake/turn -brake/turn- eclipse -brake/turn- brake/turn- marker
Not
Marker/turn- brake- brake- eclipse -brake -brake -marker/turn

Please help

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead for a second time, but I am also curious if this is possible.
If I grab the pigtail for the eclipse unit would I be able to wire this correctly to work with the talon? I really want the stock eclipse light setup.
With said two wire split on the Talon
The Talon uses two wires to send signal for the brake(separate from the flasher) and turn signal lights. However, the eclipse uses just one wire to send both signals
can I tie the two wires into the one wire on the eclipse plug?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts