DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, this question is regarding which model/design front end bra is right for which model Eclipse. LeBra's "Bra Finder" is (IMHO) FUBAR'd. I ordered a #55739-01 for a GST and it has no openings for the outboard ducts (but it does have two holes for the foglights). I have since discovered that the current LeBra "Finder" says that all hatchback cars use the #55739-01, and all Spyders (turbo and non-turbo) are listed as using the #551057-01. That's gotta be eff'd-up as, don't all the GST and GSX models (including the Spyder) use the same exact bumper setup with active outboard duct openings?

Regarding the two outboard duct openings in the front bumper of 2GB Eclipses, when are the ducts blanked-off and when are they not? I have a '97 auto transmission GST Spyder and the passenger side duct goes to the turbo's intercooler and the driver side is for the transmission cooler. If you have a 5spd GST or GSX, is the driver side duct blanked-off? And likewise, if you have a RS or GS car with the non-turbo engine (420A or 4G64) and an automatic transmission, is the driver side duct active (AT cooler behind it)? Interesting that the Eclipse has a separate transmission cooler for automatic transmission cars (at least my 4G63T has), as it is more common for auto manufacturers to have the cooler for the AT integrated into the radiator, with threaded ports located on the rear surface of the radiator bottom tank and lines running from them back to the AT.

·
Registered
613 Posts
They should all have the same bra. And whether the air ducts are blocked off on the bumper or not, Id want there to be openings in the bra anyway.

Im not sure about 5 spd turbo eclipses, but I know the Turbo ones I have seen both sides of it are open and go to its respective coolers. My buddy has a 98 RS, and both sides are blocked off with a little piece of plastic from the factory. He removed it, though, so air could get to his Cold air intake.
Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
If they say that your spyder uses certain model number, why not order that? :dunno: My gst had both ducts open...

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
frankozz, because I ordered a bra for the car from a vendor that did not reference the LeBra "bra finder"- their ad said the bra they were selling was made for a GST, which is what I have, a GST Spyder (there should be NO DIFFERENCE between the hatchback and convertible GST front bumpers). What I received was a LeBra #55739-01, which does NOT have the openings in the bra for the cooling ducts. LeBra's finder list is obviously eff'd-up if they are calling for the #55739-01 on ANY GST or GSX.

And yes, if I knew ahead of time that only the #551057-01 had the openings for the side ducts (that is an assumption, as I have not examined one, it may not have them either!), then sure, I would have ordered it. I agree with 740 Turbo Brick- it seems rather stupid for LeBra to have two different bras for the '97-'99 cars anyway, since the design with the extra two openings would still work on the RS and GS models just fine.

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,496 Posts
Passenger side: Intercooler-Open on all turbo cars, blocked off on NT cars.
Drivers side-Tranny cooler. Blocked off on MT cars, open on auto.

I don't know anything about LeBra but you would want one for an AT gst/gsx

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Buddhalux, that's the oil cooler for the AT on ONLY the 4G63 and 4G64 cars. The cars w/ the 420A and an AT use a only a cooler built into the bottom of the radiator. (just searched and found it on page 14-2 in the service manual)

Which means that no RS models have any side ducts that are open. And that all GS Hatchback models also have both ducts closed, but GS Spyders with an AT need the drivers side duct.

This leaves the drivers side duct on 5spd cars as an unknown. Is the cooler used for the AT also used for the 5spd? I've never heard of a transmission cooler for a manual transmission. Then, if that side NEVER has a cooler on 5spd cars, is that duct blocked-off as talontsiawd stated? This would mean that the only models using that duct would be AT's w/ 4G63 and 4G64 engines.

BTW, I sent an email to Global Accessories (LeBra manufacturer) to see if they can clarify which model uses which part number. Frankly, I doubt that they have a clue, either. Looks to me like the only model that definitely does not need the extra openings is a bra for the RS model. All other models may or may not need openings for ducts, depending on what engine and/or transmission is installed. They would be smart to ONLY sell the bra w/ the extra openings.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Received a reply from Global Accessories, including the instruction sheets for the two LeBra's they make/sell for the '97-'99 Eclipse. Their "Bra Finder" is definitely in error, as the #551057-01 bra is the one with two extra screened areas (for the cooler ducts). So this is the proper part breakdown for our cars.

RS and GS Hatchback- part #55739-01 (no active outboard ducts, w/o extra screens)
GSX and GST Hatchbacks and Spyders- part #551057-01 (turbo, needs LH duct for intercooler, bra has two extra screens for air pass-thru)
GS Spyder 5spd- part #55739-01 (no active outboard ducts, w/o extra screens)
GS Spyder Automatic- part #551057-01 (needs RH duct for AT oil cooler, bra has two extra screens for air pass-thru)

Note that ALL '97-'99 Eclipses can use part #551057-01. The bra with the two extra screens fits the bumpers with blanked-off ducts, as the exterior features of the bumper are always the same. But the part w/o the two extra screens is probably a bit more aerodynamic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts