DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to swap out the 3 bolt for a 4 bolt rear. After visiting the faq's and seeing the pics, I wondered something.
Wouldn't it be possible to just swap axles, and the axle cups?
Are the splines on the differential and the axles different? Is this why not?

------------------
Rocky Mountain Talon - modified
Live, Learn, Love and Bleed DSM...

My DSM

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the 4-bolt axles, being thinner, wouldn't fit in the smaller 3-bolt housing. Also, the splines are different.

------------------
1993 Forest Talon AWD - modified

[This message has been edited by ForestTalonAWD (edited October 22, 2000).]

·
Registered
350 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ForestTalonAWD:
I'm pretty sure that the 4-bolt axles, being thinner, wouldn't fit in the smaller 3-bolt housing. Also, the splines are different.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am pretty sure he means that the 4 bolt axle being bigger will not fit into the 3 bolt diff. Very correct. I did the switch about 2 months ago and tried to insert the 4 bolt axle into my stock 91 rear. The axle will not fit in. I did the short swap, only the diff and cups. pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sounds better, the actual axle shaft is thicker. I was wondering about the joints and splines. I hope to do the swap this winter. So, junior, what did you pay for the axles, cups and diff?

------------------
Rocky Mountain Talon - modified
Live, Learn, Love and Bleed DSM...

My DSM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts