DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a QUIET fuel pump so I'm guessing the Supra and 3000GT fuel pump must be quiet stock pumps. My question is how easy do these drop in a 2g GST?

I also read in earlier posts that the Denso's are pretty quiet. Yes/no?

How much boost can the 3000GT and the Supra fuel pump hold up to? If they are not up to par with the Denso I will go with Denso then. I think my taste for boost may not go past 20psi, so I can they stand to this???

Thanks!
ed

------------------
'99 GST
http://www.geocities.com/mospeed9844
Akimoto Air Fitler
GReddy BOV
GReddy Intercooler Piping
GReddy Cat-Back
GReddy Profec B
Front and Rear Strut Bars

·
Registered
122 Posts
But are the other Denso pumps alright running on 12v for long periods of time?

------------------
Brian P.
New turbo almost here!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a supra tt that I've converted the fuel pump to run full time 12v with no overheating problems. This is a rather common mod for supras before cranking up boost.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
BMPsGSX im not sure, i just know about the supra pump.

cms75 yes it is a common mod for supras( http://mkiv.com/techarticles/12v_mod/12v_mod.htm ) but one of the best supra tuning guys(jerret from powerhouseracing.com) doesnt recommend this mod because the pump does overheat after long periods of driving.

You can use the pump, but after a couple of hours of driving your car starts to sputter and run lean under wot, you'll know its the fuel pump overheating.

·
Registered
123 Posts
3kgt and supra ARE denso pumps...just different models than the usual 0990 denso sold from most vendors. They will support anything an 0990 denso will and probably more. RRE has a flow comparison for a few of them. check the website. They all sound the same. Walbro is louder and IMO a piece of junk also. Way too small. I do not trust it.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I wouldnt bother with supra TT fuel pumps. According to the RRE chart they flow the most, but these pumps run at 2 voltage settings. In a supra TT when your crusing the pump runs at 9 volts, when you floor it it runs at 12 volts. Now since theres no way AFAIK of changing the voltage from 9 to 12 volts on a dsm, the pump will overheat when its run at 12 volts for a long period of time. Thats why toyota made it run at 9 volts when crusing.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
<<but one of the best supra tuning guys(jerret from powerhouseracing.com) doesnt recommend this mod because the pump does overheat after long periods of driving.

You can use the pump, but after a couple of hours of driving your car starts to sputter and run lean under wot, you'll know its the fuel pump overheating.>>

I don't know where this guy is getting this information from. The Supra pump has worked completely *fine* for *MANY* people and for years at a time. I've used it on everything from a 14 second DSM to our 11.63 daily-driven Colt. Never once had a problem with one, nor has anyone else that I've ever talked to. It's a basic Denso pump. There is nothing wrong with running it at 13.5 volts for however long you want.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Now some might know that josh and I are friends BUT that doesn't mean I agree with him on the use of this pump BUT for different reason.

Simply put.. it out flows the ability of the STOCK fuel system, BUT!!! The reason I don't use it is B/C I use the Walbro 225 hiFlow. makes funny sounds, doesn't deliver as much fuel but again is over the limit of the STOCK system ability but is CHEAP. ( Bill likes CHEAP, Bill is CHEAP!! =-)

BUT that is me, you want quiet, RELIABLE and good flow USE THE SUPRA PUMP!.

Wonderful unit that is quiet. I have NEVER heard of a Supra pump craping out in YEARS of racing ( BTW guys/Gals this mod for this pump is about 8 years old ) BUT you do hear about the walbro doing it. To be honest it isn't a prob for me as I am ALWAYS watching fuel pressure (it's more important then boost, if that drops off you in trouble)

About the voltage. 99% of the pump made are MADE for 14.7 volt systems and will take 18V spikes at no more then 30amps. A pump wired at 14.7 volts ( that doesn't happen unless it's on a AC/DC Converter is powering it but lets just say that for the argument sake) The pump will not burn out any faster or shorten it's life span. Running some pumps at stock voltage (11's-12.5V ) is more work and with most pump not recommended as the pump has to work harder to keep up with the demand.

Bill Marino www.nyc.dsm.org

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
<<Simply put.. it out flows the ability of the STOCK fuel system, BUT!!! The reason I don't use it is B/C I use the Walbro 225 hiFlow. makes funny sounds, doesn't deliver as much fuel but again is over the limit of the STOCK system ability but is CHEAP. ( Bill likes CHEAP, Bill is CHEAP!! =-)>>

hehehe...That's okay Bill, as long as you admit to being cheap, I can't dog you too much for it. ;) One thing I do want to point out is that the Supra pump can in fact, outflow the stock lines at certain pressures. However, if running high boost levels (and thus high fuel pressures), the Supra pump will continue to maximize the peak abilities of the fuel system. Buschur's (Dan's) Orange, 10 second Talon is utilizing the stock fuel lines/rail and a Cosmo pump in the fuel delivery dept. For example, I have a Paxton Blue external pump in my car which supports 1100 h.p. Do I have 1100 h.p. (laugh!) not even close. However, overkill in the fuel supply is never a bad thing. Eliminate the weak link, then work on corrrecting the next weakest...

Josh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts