DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be possible to swap a VR4 engine in an 2G Eclipse? Also, anyone know of any 3000gt vr4 forums? Thanks

·
Registered
493 Posts
www.3si.com is supposed to be a good forum. also i dunno if you seen under the hood of a 3kgt but its PRETTY crammed. i beleive its been discussed here before and everyone thinks it cant be done. if you try good luck and take pics.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Ya, it will fit right in..But putting the tranny and other stuff needed for the swap might not ft so easily:(

you might beable to put it in a 3rd gen eclipse though.:D

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
try a search for it.
It's been discussed quite a few times and quite recently if I recall correctly.
You'll be sure to find all the information you need there.

(besides people here dont' like it when you don't search before asking questions)

·
Registered
757 Posts
Why on earth would you want to do such a stupid thing. The Vr-4 engine was meant for only one car...3KGT. You'll have better luck sticking in a Evo engine in there. Or better yet, just go upgrade the hell outta your current engine. Still much cheaper.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Why the hell would you want to put that BIG heavy ass motor into an Eclipse or Talon. Not only would it be heavy as hell if it would fit, it would be twice as expensive to mod. Think about it. 2 Turbos, 2 Exhaust Mannys, dual exhaust, 2 more injectors etc... It would be stupid to do in my opinion especially with the power that is possible with the 4G63

·
Registered
749 Posts
Jayman said:
Why the hell would you want to put that BIG heavy ass motor into an Eclipse or Talon. Not only would it be heavy as hell if it would fit, it would be twice as expensive to mod. Think about it. 2 Turbos, 2 Exhaust Mannys, dual exhaust, 2 more injectors etc... It would be stupid to do in my opinion especially with the power that is possible with the 4G63
im gonna have to agree on this one, the 4g63 is the most talked about mistu engine, not to mention one of the best 4 cylnder engines ever made, look at the evo, you can abuse the shit out of it and it will take it and shit it out the tail pipe like it was nothing, stick with the 4g63, heck i dont even know the code for the vr4 engine

peace

·
Registered
223 Posts
3kGT engine is too big/heavy for 2g DSM, I think. It will screw up more things like weight distribution, not to mention the hassle trying to fit that engine in.

·
Registered
757 Posts
We had to have ours fixed, and it cost us about 2 grand. ANd this was because I was good friends with satan who hooked me up.

·
Registered
749 Posts
thats what scared me away from the vr4, more tranny problems than us :eek:

peace

·
Registered
73 Posts
if you're looking to drop the kinda cash it would take to convert over to the 3.0 v6 TT engine, i'd go for a TT rotory.. . a 13b with a sequential twin turbo would rock in an eclipse :) I'm considering dropping one in my eclipse, since the damn thing sure isn't running with the current engine/tranny...

·
Registered
757 Posts
Actaully the 6 speed getrag is a very reliable tranny. I broke the 3rd gear. But that was from frequent mis-use, the tranny feels perfect, I don't usually use 6th gear, but so many times in my eclipse I just feel like shifting into 6th gear. It took me a while to realize not to shift into R when I'm in the eclipse because we've had the vr4 for a long time. The engine is very smooth, sit in it and press the gas, the seats will pull you in. You haven't felt an AWD until you launch a 320HP RWD based car at 6000 RPM...now that's happiness.
I was talking to my dad hopefully he'll upgrade the turbos to 13b. I am 99% sure the turbos out car came with a 9bs. The JDM GTO comes with 13bs. Oooh, maybe 14b :Evil grin:
The cars are good, but I want the Evo!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
yeah they got the 9g's stock, most people upgrade to the 13g or 14b and 16g and 20g are the big guns. Can you imagine twin 20g's

·
Registered
488 Posts
loreak said:
yeah they got the 9g's stock, most people upgrade to the 13g or 14b and 16g and 20g are the big guns. Can you imagine twin 20g's
VR4's come with 9b's stock. One of my friends has a VR4 with 15G turbos and in about a week he's getting 20G's. He got a JDM 99 GTO engine swapped in and fully built at Altered Atmosphere located in Maryland I believe. The owner of Altered Atmosphere has a Stealth with a setup very similar to my friends with 20G's and he has run a 10.7 at 130+. My friend also has a 150 shot direct port nitrous set up, so he is hoping for low 10's maybe even 9's. We'll see. Actually you can check out his car on our website http://www.protocol.streetracing.org Go to the members section and click on the 91 3000GT. BTW for you guys who like Silvia's you may also want to check out my other friend thats got a 240 w/S15 Silvia Front End Conversion, SR20DET motor swap and other goodies. My car is on there too although there isn't a whole lot done to it yet. Emphasis on yet;)

·
Registered
757 Posts
Yeah Jayman, I'm pretty good friends with the peeps down at Altered Atmosphere, atleast with one of them, cos I deal with him the most his name his john. THey got a purple 3kgt I believe...god damn, it's a beast. Note to self: don't mess with cars that have volk wheels.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts