DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i have a 34mm flapper on its way to try to help the masive boost creep i have with the 3"exhaust. Anyway i have fully ported the 14b besides the WG hole. My question is. DO i need to pull the hole turbo off in order to seperate the exhaust housing side to port the WG hole? Or will the exhaust housing come off without removing the compressor housing? I ask cause i hate to dump all that antifreeze out again to pull the turbo off. I will if i have to but if theres a viable shortcut then i would like to know. ;) Thanks

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL dangit i knew somthing was up when the
key didnt show anything. Duh! should of looked there. Thanks Man.:p

·
Registered
250 Posts
hey to take off the turbine housing you ahve to take off the turbo, caues you need to remove the bolts that go into the turbine housing and onces you do , all the turbo is going to fall off

·
Registered
17 Posts
The turbo isnt just going to "Fall off" if you take out the exhaust mani. to turbo bolts... It has water and oil lines supporting it. But that brings up an interesting point that it might be a pain in the ass to remove the turbine housing if you still have that stock stud in it!

Rob

·
Registered
250 Posts
yeah you have the water inlet and outlet lines as well as the oil lines and plus to get that stud out, i think you will have to take the turbo out, and it is a pain in the ass, you have to drain all the oil and the coolant from the engineif you don't want to make a mess, i had to take out my turbo 2 times this weekend so i would know, i dont' mean to make this scary. Is not so bad after all , you just nee to know what you're doing and do it right, don't rush

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea i had the turbo off last month to port everything. Its no big deal its just a pain and it takes a little while. I still have the stock housing to exhaust mani stud so that will be a pain. not to mention the stock oil and water hard lines. If i could just pull it away far enough without taking the stock water line off i would be happy but i gess i will just have to see. I have a feeling its gonna be a mess no matter what.:rolleyes: O well as long as this 34mm flapper stops my boost creep i will be happy.;) :D

·
Registered
445 Posts
Tell me if the 34mm flapper door mod works. I got massive creep too. I mean works by it will allow 14-15psi to be held constantly. Also post about how you did it.

Rob

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a simi reivew of what i have done so far. Today i pulled the car apart and discoverd that even with stock hard oil and water lines still conected to the turbo you can pull off the exhaust housing even with the Factory satan stud still in the exhaust housing. it was a pain to figer out without hitting the turbin blades but it is posible. ;)

This is the satan stud. it will save ya about 30 minutes total to have the sucker out and replaced with a bolt. I am perty confedent if i have to pull it off again with the stud in place. Just took a little bit to figuer out how to do it without hitting the turbin blades.

Here is what it looks like minus the exhaust housing.

Notice how the flapper doesent fully open. thats as far as it will go.

Opens all the way now.:D

I have ported alot more but i am waiting on the 34mm flapper to do any more. I should be done tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
44pirate said:
Where did you get the flapper?
Well its not in my posesion yet but i ordered it from TRE for $28. should be here tomorrow. I hope.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Nice! Can't wait to see the rest. Keep up the good work!

Good pics too. :hail:

Rob

·
Elite DSMtalker
5,037 Posts
I had severe boost creep before with my setup, it would reach 22+psi before I would let off of the throttle. I went with the 34mm flapper, and hogged the thing out nicely, now with my profec B turned off I can reach as low as 9psi, believe it or not, and hold it all the way to the shift point in 3rd gear (65-6800rpms).

Just letting you know that if you port the WG hole right the flapper WILL DEFINATELY get rid of all your creep problems.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I gess TRE didnt get my 34mm flapper out in time?:rolleyes: So i want to race friday what am i to do? So i go find an exhaust valve at a machine shop (free) thats 34mm and has a 7mm stem. I machine the thing down with a steady hand, grinding wheel, and a few air tools.:) Turned out preaty good. so the results? It still creeps.:( but only from 15-17 real slow in second and hard in 3rd. It will go down to 9psi though witch kinda threw me a little cause if it can go down that far it shouldent creep.:confused: The only thing i can figuer is that my exhaust is just completly unrestrictive?:confused: I plan on getting a muffler soon cause its just way too loud. But shouldent i not have any boost creep now? I completly hoged out the O2 and WG hole. theres is not much room for porting left in there. SO is my exhaust to unrestictive? This sucks. O well i going to the track tomorrow anyway. :) O yea for pics look here--> http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291236437

I dont want to clog up bandwidth with too many pics.;)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New update.

Seems that i dont have boost creep like i thought now? :) I can now hold 14psi rock steady. the fix you ask? well driving around in 30 degrre temps the other night didnt help for one thing and i also removed the bottom screw in the stock Mas. Its seems to help out alot and i dont get fuel cut now. and the car runs better and faster on 14psi. As soon as i do fuel mods then I can up the psi a little. ;) SO yes the 34mm flapper helps a ton. rock steady at 14 psi. :cool:

·
Registered
250 Posts
So do you recommen the 34mm flapper and porting the WG hole for a 20G or you think i should defenitely go external. Caus ei get creep to about 25 psi, then i hit Fuel cut, so what was it that you guys were saying about the MAS screw, what is it that you do to it, spin it outwards, clockwise or counter? How does it help?? Thanks

·
Registered
445 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thank
But i think if i have the AFC then i really don't need to lean or richen things up by that screw. Well thanks any ways

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For a 20 g i would say go external. at the minimum an O2 dump. but yea if your running over 18psi a 34mm will solve your creep problems on a 20g i would think.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yeah im planning on running around 18 psi and i already have the 02 dump i could hear the wastegate open at around 6 psi, it starts dumping, but damn yesturday i was running on the highway and wel, i don't know if my boost controller was open too much or the creep was too much, i hit 25 psi and i hit fuel cut nasty, right now i have the stock flapper and WG hole isn't even ported, so it would be normal for me to get this creep, or do you think that was my boost controller being open, i have the Turbo XS standard boost controller and i had it 3 or 4 turns open.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts