DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well, I live in an apartment, so I have no room, and I don't need the parts, just the measurements from them. If you could take some measurements on the block, that would help a bunch! Then maybe a rod and crank.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Don't take me for a fool, looks so perfect it seems like you scan them in 3D with some lazer ... Didn't you ? ;)
There are companies that actually do this, they use this scan tool that resembles a paint gun and swipe it all over the item you want modeled. I've seen it first hand up close, and except for a couple small inperfections, the model was correct and to scale. Amazing shit.

·
Registered
479 Posts
There are companies that actually do this, they use this scan tool that resembles a paint gun and swipe it all over the item you want modeled. I've seen it first hand up close, and except for a couple small inperfections, the model was correct and to scale. Amazing shit.
Yeah, we have that capability here in our R&D building. A scanner gun can be attached to the Faro Arm in the Prototype Shop, and the object of interest scanned to create a cloud of datapoints which has to then be translated into tessellated surfaces. Then we can build solid models, do finite element analysis, or build a replica of the part using our stereolithographic system.

Also works nice for making pretty pictures using the rendering capabilities of the CAD system we use, Unigraphics NX6 (which our Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Division owns and sells to such clients as Northrup Grumman, General Motors, Pratt & Whitney, GE Propulsion, etc.). We also have a few licenses of SolidWorks in our department for use by engineers whom are either not trained in UG or do not perform work that requires the added capabilities of UG (some of our CAD-based top-level assemblies contain 9000+ components/sub-assemblies).

Here's an example of solid modeling using a previous version of the software, NX4.
SolidWorks uses much of the same techniques.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That looks similer to Solidworks. I wish I had one of those scanners! That would make things so much easier! the piston, wrist pin, flywheel, etc. I got done pretty quickly, but that valve cover took a few DAYS to do! I am working on the head now, and I can see that it will take a while. It's just so complex, and has so many surfaces. But it's nice, it keeps me on my toes! LOL

·
Registered
701 Posts
I just saw a guy do this in person at a chassis shop. He put almost 300 small sticky dots on the item he was scanning. The dots give a visual to the scanning device. Its kind of similar to how a GPS works. Those setups go for over $50,000. It's being used more and more in the custom car business. I also saw a show on Power Block/Spike where they used this device in a build. Very interesting.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I support this project. Especially if it could be eventually turned into a tool to help learn how to take apart and assemble the engine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I can make exploded view drawings, renderings, and if I get enough RAM to do it, full 3d video of the parts moving so you can see how they react with each other and better understand how the engine works!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well, I am out of parts to model in the engine for now. I need to barrow some parts from someone. Hoping to find a rod, crank, and/or block

·
Registered
25 Posts
Whatever happened with this? Get any more parts done?

I'm taking a Solidworks Modeling class for my ME degree right now, starting to model the block, pistons, connecting rods, crankshaft and possibly oil pan for a short-block assembly. Probably going to make a sheet-metal oil pan based off the moroso design, modeling the surfaces on the stock oil pan exactly would be rather difficult.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here you go!

Really looking for someone with an extra block laying around that they can measure for me. I will be starting the head next, but will take me some time.

Hey man, could you share this valve cover model? I want to produce my own valve cover and I have acces to everything for maching it.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts