DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Sorry I haven't responded,
I was on vacation and when I got back my router took a crap on me, so no internet.
Anyways, I want to be able to run 400hp but that's it.
Is the ARP headstuds really the only modification to the engine I would need to achieve that?
I have noticed you guys mention the drivetrain, but I had the tranny rebuilt like 80 miles ago (I don't drive it alot), so I'm not too worried about that right now.
Also, people suggest the SAFC /II in my other thread, but will it be able to handle 400 hp?
And also, it is my daily driver (not so daily right now) and my only car, so I know it is a risk, but I want a good DD that won't take a crap on me down the street, but fast enough so I can show the honda kids a nice 1/4 slip that will have them crap their pants.

·
Registered
741 Posts
SAFC's have their limitations, but when combined with another way of tuning, are spectacular. People have run in the 9's with a Maf-T/SAFC combo, so why not you?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Keydiver chip + S-AFC is another easy quick way to go.

·
Registered
262 Posts
400HP on a 7block is possible but will not last long. I've seen a stock Longblock 6bolt do 520AWHP on a FP3065. And still is running strong and lasting in everyday traffic.
Sorry to dig up an old post. I was searching and...
520AWHP is quite an achievement to say the least, on stock longblock!
My question being...Is that 6bolt stock longblock mean all original parts? Or fresh new OEM parts?(including head bolts, pistons, headgaskets, cams, etc).

People frequently say stock block, but when it comes down to it, some key parts were either new OEMs or aftermarket.

I'm prepping to rebuild my 6bolt motor and putting together a recipe to get around 450-500awhp w/o over-building some parts while under-building something else. (I am considering the need for larger turbo/FMIC, etc).

And is 2G MAF be good enough for this power level?

·
Registered
51 Posts
There are several people pushing the stock 6 bolt mighty far. I personally have a stock 6 bolt bottom end with arp l19's and a perma torque head gasket and I also make 500awhp all day long. It has made as much as 597 on 100 shot.

Solid tuning and being smart about how you beat on it and take care of it, you should be alright.

·
Registered
262 Posts
There are several people pushing the stock 6 bolt mighty far. I personally have a stock 6 bolt bottom end with arp l19's and a perma torque head gasket and I also make 500awhp all day long. It has made as much as 597 on 100 shot.

Solid tuning and being smart about how you beat on it and take care of it, you should be alright.
This begs another question regarding "daily driver or all day long". Is this on pump gas? Here in Cal, 91 octaine is our daily driver gas. I know another guy here who has Evo9 and makes 380hp using E85 and alcohol injection. I know that we're talking about bottom-end only, but I can't imagine it can make such huge difference with head differences.
And I believe this thread is referring to using stock head also.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It is a daily driver car, I just meant that any day you could throw it on the dyno and it'll make 500. I guess we are spoiled up here in MN that we have e85, but I get it from the pump so I just consider it normal pump gas. I still have a stock 1g springs/retainers with some cheap DKS cams.

·
Registered
262 Posts
It is a daily driver car, I just meant that any day you could throw it on the dyno and it'll make 500. I guess we are spoiled up here in MN that we have e85, but I get it from the pump so I just consider it normal pump gas. I still have a stock 1g springs/retainers with some cheap DKS cams.
Excellent! I'm guessing you don't use alcohol inj, I suppose if you use it, you could up the power level even higher. Am I right?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Meth injection allows you to run a slightly higher boost level on the same fuel system. (it effectively raises your octane level, which reduces the chance on knock or predetonation).

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is correct. Harder, initially yes. But once you dial the GM MAF in, it all becomes the same as anything else. I recommend doing ZERO...

ZERO

Tuning with the maf-t unit (for those with dsmlink) itself and you will be fine.

400hp is indeed possible on stock internals. Even a 7 bolt. You will need head studs probably at minimum. I would do rod bolts as well. You will need to dial the car in for absolute consistency in all conditions and avoid ANY knock WHATSOEVER. Which means you probably won't be pushing it out of that little T28. If it were an old FP KILLER 28... maybe... but even then probably not without race gas / or methanol injection.

You just cannot afford ANY hiccups at that power level on a stock engine. You are dealing with cast pistons, OE rings, press fit pins... and stock rod fasteners... Good? Absolutely... going to take a bunch of bullshit? No fucking way. I had a bad detonation event on a stock 7 bolt bottom end @ 28psi and it blew a piston into puzzle pieces and bent every fucking rod in the motor.

I wouldn't even ATTEMPT a run at 400 WHP on a stock 7 bolt without the following;
-ARP head studs
-ARP rod bolts
-DSMlink
-Quality core FMIC
-Water injection
-EvoIII 16g / 50trim <bigger

21 - 32 of 32 Posts