DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 99 RS with a broken rod and busted block. Bought a block from a local salvage yard that had pistons, rods, crank and oil pump...a few bolts were missing from the oil pump, so i replaced them with the ones from my block. New water pump

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New head gasket, etc. The head off my engine looked great. The block looked good, but i didnt have either checked. Anyway after getting the engine back in, i put a gallon of antifreeze in it, 5 quarts of oil and fired it up. Started fine, sounded good

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But as i was filling up a jug of water to top off the cooling system i noticed coolant bubbling out onto the exhaust manifold. I went to put the cap on and my hand was covered in new motor oil. I shut it down and no oil on the dipstick, what could this be

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, i can only type so many characters with my phone and im nowhere near a computer. I had this car sold if it would have ran fine, i dont have the money to tear it back down and was counting on the money from this sale. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
There is so much left out of this post it's laughable.

What kind of rebuild did you do? Did you even pull the head? How about any machine work if you actually did pull the slugs? Are you sure you didn't pour antifreeze in the oil yourself?

Seriously, more info or no one can help you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a junkyard block with the head off of the original engine. Of course i had the head off. It's got a new water pump, new head gasket, and the head and block passed a visual inspection. I had no machine work done. There's no water in the oil pan

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But within the first 5 minutes of the engine running it sucked all of the oil out of the oil pan and dumped it into the cooling system. And NO I didn't put the oil in the cooling system. I'm a mechanic. The car is on a lift at my garage.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And i'm on the internet on a stupid cell phone that won't allow me to type very many characters at one time. I've had a few of these engines apart and back together with no problems. I

·
Registered
951 Posts
I do know there is a problem with some 420a that the back two headbolts on the driver side are too long and don't seal for shit. That may be your problem right there. We rebuilt my friends and its leaking oil out the back there because of this. You can cut off a few threads on those few bolts and retorque it back up and it should seal.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I figured it out today. I looked at the old block and saw 2 oil delivery ports and 3 returns. The oil port next to the troublesome head bolt on the driver's side rear of the block dead ends at the head next to a water jacket. I re-torqued the head

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
but that still didn't fix it. It's pumping about a quart per minute of oil into the water. There's 150 psi across all cylinders, and it runs and sounds beautiful. I'm going to get a new set of head bolts, another head gasket, and some copper seal and try

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
and try to get the head to seal one more time. I hope that does it. I'd like to find a composite gasket for it, but I think they've been discontinued. I've done 5-6 of these with comp. gaskets and never had any sealing issues. I'll post when it's fixed.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I'm not sure about the 420A, but a commonly overlooked spot is the oil cooler. It's another point where oil and coolant meet, and the heat transfer piece is made of a fairly thin metal that could be crushed and cause a leak. Other then that, I'd also say an unsealed headgasket.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No oil coolers on the 420a's. The 95 tsi awd I have as my avatar had one. I've seen a lot of auto tranny coolers go and cause a tranny to go out...and the s10's were bad about oil coolers. It doesn't make sense to run glycol and oil so close together.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There are some things you should have done. First you should have took the block and head to a machine shop so they could machine it to be true. There is bound to be some warpage. Also you should always buy new head bolts when taking the head apart. I noticed you did this only after you tried to run it so my question is does the head gasket have any gel like material to help it seal? If it does then its not good to use an old gasket. Also the comp. head gasket your talking about you don't need. They use to think that the aluminum head expanded quicker than the block and that’s what smoked the gasket. However, Chrysler didn’t drill the holes deep enough over cylinder 4 so all you need is a thicker gasket. If the gasket you have is over an 1/8th of an inch think you should be alright. Also did you pull that block out of a Neon cause some of those blocks are different than the 420A in the Eclipse.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
That much oil that quick. Are you sure the head gasket was put on correctly, maybe some return holes are mixed up? Just a thought.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do know there is a problem with some 420a that the back two headbolts on the driver side are too long and don't seal for shit. That may be your problem right there. We rebuilt my friends and its leaking oil out the back there because of this. You can cut off a few threads on those few bolts and retorque it back up and it should seal.
Don’t do this go online and buy a new head bolt kit and replace them all don’t be a hack like this guy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts