DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have herd it all from the GSX and GST owners that you cannot swap a 4g63 into a RS or GS 2nd gen without spending alot of money.

Answer: WRONG

Truth: The 4g63 Evo 8 motor will boltup to the RS and GS motormounts with little to no modifications. You need a 420a transmission with a swapped out bellhousing. Aftermarket motor mounts to handle the torque and abuse that the 4g63 evo motor will throw at it. You are going to need a Stand alone ecu or GST ecu with a piggy back. Here are some pictures if you need any more information email me at [email protected] I will talk to my friend in Taiwan that has been doing this swap for 2 years now and has done over 40 RS and GS 2nd gen to evo 8 swaps. The RS and GS is the only model eclipse you can drop the Evo 8 engine into without major modifications, Iam talking Long block not just the block or head. The Evo 8 Motor also sits on the left side of the engine bay in which the 420a also shares the same position for IC and pipings also. ENJOY!!!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 2nd RS which is just a rolling chasis is sitting at CI motorsports in PA, and we will begin my swap very soon. I own 2 RS's and will be buying a GSX soon.

My daily driver is a built 2.4 420a turbo and my 2nd will be a Evo 8 swaped.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have been exchanging information for a year from Taiwan about this swap, but it is very hard to translate the asian language so we are finnaly getting everything situated out in a formate where we can understand everything. This swap is prety much like putting a SR20det into a KA powered S13 or S14 nissan.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is another article of an evo 8 swaped 420a. I will be getting all the details very soon and make a complete list for the whole swap for everyone. If motor mounts need modified I will make a PDF with stencils to printout to take to the machine shop.
I do not have a pc at home, just at work so bear with me when I cannot reply back very fast.

http://repo.jackmoves.com/v/shawn/Eclipse/evo_swap/progress/

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only swap I have herd of so far is the Evo 8. But it shouldnt be to hard to swap the other Evo motors that sit on the passanger side of the engine bay. You can use the Stock mounting position. Some prefer to move it 1/8th inch to the right from the passanger side and Fab 2 new brackets. The Axles you need to take to the machine shop to matchup to the spec of the Evo axles , but the GS and RS axles are thicker. I wish I wasnt hungover rightnow or it would be alot easier to make a quick basic list for the swap.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Uh, whoa, whoa, whoa.

If I could afford this engine, my NA would be haulin' balls right now. OP, could you PM me about your 2.4NA? I have some questions I think that you might be able to answer for me.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also we have seen a evo 8 AWD eclipse running around pensylvania.

Prety much what he did was took a GSX chasis and welded a RS frontend on it with the Evo 8 Swap and used the AWD setup. Looked just like a regular GSX untill you poped the hood but it was a RS front clip.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you can do an awd swap on a gst could you do the same on a gs or rs and make it an awd evo swap. Either way this would be a awsome swap.

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
I knew this was possible from the time the Evos came out in the US...but finding a motor is still difficult to keep within most peoples budgets.

·
Registered
221 Posts
You know, I read this thread and think about another thread in this same section. So, my advice to all people looking to beef up their 420a, I will direct them to this thread!

I bet that thing runs like a DEMON! Plus, swap in the Evo Drivetrain? Holy SHIT. That's all I got to say.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
x97dsmx said:
Also we have seen a evo 8 AWD eclipse running around pensylvania.

Prety much what he did was took a GSX chasis and welded a RS frontend on it with the Evo 8 Swap and used the AWD setup. Looked just like a regular GSX untill you poped the hood but it was a RS front clip.
Thats fuggin wacky. Cool as hell but wacky. Have you guys seen teh Galant in Modified mag with a stroked EVO 8 swap. Pretty cool for anyone who wants to google it it was in the Reader's Rides issue of Modified.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh in Taiwan they figured it out the 2nd week of the Evo 8 being released due to a cpl of them being wrecked. It just takes a long time to reach us :(. And alot of GST owners hate the RS and GS model and wouldnt support it anyway for a clean swap. Would be nice if some shops would support this swap and bring the 2g's back to life on the streets. There are so many nt's running around that need a engine bay makeover.

1 - 20 of 273 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.