DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Is it possible to just add the necessary wires to the existing harness? The ecu has the same plugs right, just missing wires? I did a 2.0 nt to turbo conversion and just added wires.

·
Registered
76 Posts
mkjc211 said:
Is it possible to just add the necessary wires to the existing harness? The ecu has the same plugs right, just missing wires? I did a 2.0 nt to turbo conversion and just added wires.
No It's a completely different motor, you were just adding new sensors for your turbo parts, this is swapping an entirely different engine into a shell...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wanna make sure I have this straight...

I have a 90 eclipse 1.8l (4g37) and to go to a 2.0 N/T I would need a 1st gen 4g63 but I would have to have a 1990 specific ECU/Harness but the actual engine doesn't matter as long as it's 1st gen, right? I plan on doing this swap within a few months but I need to get my plan of action all together first.

Keep in mind, I don't wanna tear open my dash to update the existing wires.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i have owned all three models and i prefer the awd turbo but for looks epa and easy to work on ill stick with my original eclipse i bought when i was 17....91 then of course i smashed it found a mint body in AZ with 34k on it for 400 it ran and drove... it was a 90 but had a fresh motor in the 91 before the wreck swaped head and block with no problems......keep in mind if your doing a swap all the sensors and wireing must stay or be changed 90 is 90 ONLY 1.9 2.0 nt and turbo now im not sure about the nt 1.8 to 2.0 but i know the intakes are different and the sensors DO NOT have the same wires so im think wire harness swap is the only way. if you do any swap the turbo is the only way to go unless your swaping blocks if your just doing the head and block use all sensors from the car that has bad engine. then no wireing is needed.

dsm owner since 99 3 AWD transmissions blown 5 timing belts and 3 clutches through out all my dsms ive owned no more dual overhead for this bugjet mechanic

91 1.8 gs SMASHED
90 awd tsi SMASHED 3 trans missions and 2 timing belts
91 laser fwd nt 2.0 cracked head (parted out)
91 talon dl timing belt 3 times
90 eclipse 1.8 current

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Welcome on man!

As for the harness, it's not worth the hassle at all! It's more cost effective to sell a great running 1.8 to some kid and buy a turbo or 2.0 N/T car. If this is the desired route the whole harness up to the computer will have to be replaced, yes nothing about them is the same (primarily becuase of the ignition system variations). However if it's the turbo route your wanting to take it's easier to install but more difficult to find parts. I have been working on gathering everything for almost a year now and just about ready to instal the whole setup. The 1.8's have advantages and disadvantages, you just have to think about it in a same but totally different way. Mischif, Sandcobra and I have some very "potent" 4G37's.

89Gold, check out dsm1eights.org sometime. Lots of great info over there as well for high build 1.8s.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.