DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My 2g turbo engine decided to give up on me. I don't thinks was crankwalk. I opted for another and CHEAP engine. When I went to get THAT engine at the store I spoke to this "mechanic/profesional installer" and he told me that if I was going to get another engine I should get the 4G63 N/A and use MY turbo kit I had in my previuos 4g63T. He stated he has done it with no come back customers and no problems. You know I'm really worried about the pistons compression>>> 9.0:1 n/a pistons vs 8.5:1 4g63T pistons. What's the amount of psi I should go with and not brake my Japan imported engine. Also I'm mounting the metal head gasket :eek: :confused: I will appreciate HELP and Orientation regarding this concern of mine. I would like to go back to Puerto Rico streets and have fun with my SO LOVED DSM. Thanks

·
Registered
259 Posts
Wait...I am not understand what's going on. You have a turbocharged (4G63) motor that died? And your mechanic is saying to swap it to a N/T and throw on the turbo kit you have? You wouldn't have a turbo kit....I do not believe there are 4G63's that are N/T because their motor is the 420A. If you mean the JDM "Cyclone" 4G63, I believe those are turbocharged already.

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,681 Posts
I wouldn't do that. Its just not the same.
If anything get the N/A and swap in a set of turbo pistons and rods.
(If you swap as a set it will be easier than punching out wrist pins)
Then you should be ok.
You're the second guy from puerto rico thats gotten some really bad DSM advice lately. The last one lost the whole engine and turbo.
Whats going on down there?! :eek:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Asmodeus said:
I wouldn't do that. Its just not the same.
If anything get the N/A and swap in a set of turbo pistons and rods.
(If you swap as a set it will be easier than punching out wrist pins)
Then you should be ok.
You're the second guy from puerto rico thats gotten some really bad DSM advice lately. The last one lost the whole engine and turbo.
Whats going on down there?! :eek:
Why do this? If he already had a turbocharged motor (4G63) then why couldn't he just install another? Or go with a 6-bolt?

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,681 Posts
Hows the availability of extra turbo engines in Puerto Rico?
:rolleyes:
I think the point was he could get a non-turbo 4g63 engine WAY cheaper.
That being said, a simple rod/pistons swap and new bearings the whole way around might be a valid alternative. And still be cheaper.
See what I'm saying?

·
Registered
259 Posts
OHHHHH so there is a 4G63 N/T motor...?

and I am not sure what he got as a price quote but I believe osakajdmmotors.com (or something close) sells the 6 bolt motor for $350 and the cyclone for $1300

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for helping

7 bolt 4G63 non turbo Imported from Japan costs $700 here in PR. The 4g63T costs $1,500. I told the mechanic I didn't have the $1500 but I could find those $700. He said that I didn't have to worry because with my turbo I would have more for less and that he has done the same thing with great results. Also, there are no 6 bolts around, I know what you guys talking about. I just want to get my ride back to go to work and to go to school. It's my only ride. My real concern is that I don't want to brake because of the high compression pistons that the N/A has with maybe 12psi we might be putting. FYI. I verified the engine to be real 4g63 N/A JDM (no cyclone). What should I do guys?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What bearings are you talking about Asmodeus?
"punching out wrist pins"

Don't know about this. Please inform me on that before it is late. Thanks

·
Registered
259 Posts
PRgst said:
Thanks for helping

7 bolt 4G63 non turbo Imported from Japan costs $700 here in PR. The 4g63T costs $1,500. I told the mechanic I didn't have the $1500 but I could find those $700. He said that I didn't have to worry because with my turbo I would have more for less and that he has done the same thing with great results. Also, there are no 6 bolts around, I know what you guys talking about. I just want to get my ride back to go to work and to go to school. It's my only ride. My real concern is that I don't want to brake because of the high compression pistons that the N/A has with maybe 12psi we might be putting. FYI. I verified the engine to be real 4g63 N/A JDM (no cyclone). What should I do guys?
Did you check out that site I told you? They are selling 6-bolts for $350 I am not sure how much shipping would be to PR.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
varsitychick said:
Did you check out that site I told you? They are selling 6-bolts for $350 I am not sure how much shipping would be to PR.
Yeah, you are right. :eek: Man that's cheap compared to what I paid for mine. I requested a shipping quote just now to see how much is going to be. Let's see what happens. I'm sure other DSMers can take advantage of these great deals. Thanks a lot :eek:

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,681 Posts
PRgst said:
What bearings are you talking about Asmodeus?
"punching out wrist pins"

Don't know about this. Please inform me on that before it is late. Thanks
Rod and main bearings. Its a while your in there kinda of thing. No matter what kind of engine you were going to get its not going to be new. Alot of times when they sit for long periods too without running acids in the remaining oil and condensation can wreak unseen havoc on internals.
I was just saying if you were going to pull it apart to change the pistons and rods... it would be extra insurance. THATS all.

To remove the piston from the rod you have to heat and knock out the wrist pin that holds it in the rod end. Most people take them to a machine shop and pay. But you "could" do it yourself provided you knew what you were doing. Since its a pain I said replace them as a set. Or you'll be "punching" out the wrist pins to get the pistons off, then driving in new ones to put the turbo pistons on. (Which is I think 2500-3500lbs of force at room temp?)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts