DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, where do I start. I have a sbr-50trim bolt on turbo, that keeps coating the intercooler piping and has a mist of oil that comes out the BOV when ever I let off while it's at full spool (about 23psi.) None at all out the exhaust though.

It's on a balance shaft eliminated 6bolt, fed from the oil filter housing but has been ran from day one with a .100in nitrous jet for a restrictor. When I noticed it started spitting oil out the Bov I stepped down to a .82in restrictor and still the same issues. Checked play and there's zero in and out, maybe just a little more play than a healthy 16g, no blades touching the compressor housing, and it sounds healthy enough at idle. Also, it's a healthy 6bolt with a very large capacity breather setup on it, so crank pressure shouldn't be an issue.

The turbo has maybe 5000 miles and has been a pain in the ass since day one. So what do garret journal bearing turbo users think, is it trashed and how the hell does it only blow oil out the compressor side? Anyone ever deal with this? How's SBR with warranty work if that's even an option?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can the 1st gen bov move enough air at this amount of airflow to not brake anything. I'm still on a slightly crushed 1g bov, it doesn't leak but seems a little small.

I just ripped the car apart to port the oil pressure releif, and ordered a rebuild kit. I don't want to go through all this just to have it happen agian.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Just for fun here's a pic of the oil pressure releif. I'm thinking there's no need to go nearly that far to the spring end, as it looks like the spring can only collapse 3/8in at most. It might not hurt to hog out the lower end a little more.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I was blowing oil out of the 1g bov also with my 16g turbo. I changed the turbo and got a Greddy bov and havent had to problem again, yet.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Its a bad 30 cent rubber seal on the cold side of the turbo.

You should be able to source a rebuild it for the turbo, I buy mine from gpopshop.com

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yeah, that's where I ordered the rebuild kit from. Most t3/t4 turbo's use the piston ring style oil seal on the shaft, right? I'm guessing this isn't a big shaft turbo right? (too late now already ordered.) Anyone have any idea on whether or not a 1g bov can actually move enough air to not stall the compressor wheel. I should propably just bite the bullet and get a tial.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
boominmypants said:
Yeah, that's where I ordered the rebuild kit from. Most t3/t4 turbo's use the piston ring style oil seal on the shaft, right? I'm guessing this isn't a big shaft turbo right? (too late now already oredered.) Anyone have any idea on whether or not a 1g bov can actually move enough air to not stall the compressor wheel. I should propably just bite the bullet and get a tial.
I've seen people use crushed 1g bovs with no issue with 60 trim turbos. I, personally, would use 2 or move on to a tial like you said.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Man, this thing just keeps getting better.....took the turbo off and pulled it apart, the thrust bearing was missing a dowel pin and the hole where it should go is messed up. The journal bearing closest to the turbine end had a dark ring around the outside, and was dark on the inside. The whole shaft was dark, with blue tints along its length. No oil coking though. Both bearings fit snug to the shaft and spin freely on the shaft and in the housing.
Nothing really looked worn out, nothing is scored, nothing you can feel with the finger nail. Just looks like things got hot, is that normal on the turbine end. Shaft looks straight as far as I can tell.
I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to trash this.... rebuildable:dunno:

I'm currently unemployed so any money I can save I really should.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright last post on the subject. I hear the bearing snap rings should have the gap facing down along with the seals. This was not the case with mine, they were all installed randomly. My turbo was also missing the thrust spring, the star shaped washer that fits in the bearing housing near the thrust bearing. Who ever assembled this turbo f'ed up.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yeah that's basically what I'm saying. Who ever assembled this just plain fucked up. I found more missing parts. The compressor cover o-ring was also mia. I'd let them know, but I don't see anything coming of it.
I'm attempting a rebuild with a bigger bov, and a non restricted, ported relief oil supply. I doubt it's gonna go so well the journal races were scored.

I'm tired of dealing with this. If the rebuild goes tits up I'm getting a bullseye 50trim. I like their exhaust housing way better anyway, thier wastegate flapper actually opens completely.

I like slowboys cutomer service and shipping, that's great. Much like other Vendor made products....Buschur comes to mind...... their homemade products suck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts