DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the VFAQ on what the differences between a 6 and 7 bolt block are. I couldn't find anywhere what the advantages are.

I picked up a 91 TsiAWD and determend from the VFAQ that it's a 6 bolt block. Would this have anything to do with having "bigger rods"?

Bill Norton
98 TsiAWD
91 TsiAWD

·
Registered
836 Posts
As far as I know they will last longer!
My buddy went through two 93' engines doing mid12 and both times he has developed a rod knock :( Since he's got the 6 bolt engine no knock yet :) I found that the 7bolt engine has higher compression, lighter rods and flywheel, which does make a significant difference in rev's BUT you can get your big rod to do the same and last longer :) also, not alot of people knew that but crank walk also appears on 7 bolt engines :( Crank walk is also common on Lancers evo VI except the crank is being pulled instead of pushed like on 2G's, that's because of different clutch design.. If I was keeping my car stock, or lightly “modded” I would definitely go with a 7bolt engine, but if your goal is mid 12 or lower I would go with the 6 bolt :) --- I'm sure there are 7 bolt engines out there that do better than mid 12's but I've seen two in the row develop a BAD knock, and I never heard of a big rod coming out of the engine’s bottom :D (like my previous talon did)

------------------
Mike,
Small 16G
HKS Mega Flow
2G Ported ExhaustManifold
2G Ported o2, 2.5 Greddy DP, 2.5 Test / High Flow, 2.5 Greddy Catback
HKS FMIC (not installed yet)
2.5 CMV UIP
Greddy ProffecA, Greddy Timer, Custom A/F Gauge,
H&R Springs, KYB AGX
Walbro 225l High Press
Japanese Spec "Cyclone" Engine
VDO's

·
Registered
701 Posts
Well actually, I dont mean to bust some chops here but even high 12 second 7 bolts have been known to have the dreaded crankwalk problem. Bottom line is, a 6 bolt motor is the best way to go period, even though the NEW 7 bolts 95+ motors have 8.5:1 compression thats no big deal, nothing you cant have your 6 bolt big rods machined to do, and you always want to kep your options open, you never know if you will make the car run low 10's or something. If I was building a new motor which I am, I would definatly go with a 6 bolt motor like I have dropped off at the machine shop :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts