DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 60-1 turbo with a P-trim turbine wheel, and it is in a .70 a/r comp housing, and .82 a/r turbine housing. I am curious as to how efficent this turbo will be at high rpms? Will it fall off at a certain rpm? Will the P-trim turbine wheel help with top end power, or will it just retard my spool time? I am really interested in what it will do, cause I would like to rev fairly high (9k+), but if the turbo isn't going to make power that high it is pointless to rev it that high. Is there anything that I can do to help this turbo to make power up high? I do have all the supporting mods, so don't worry about that. Also will big cams (ie BC 288's) make this turbo even more laggy? Is the P-trim wheel that much bigger over a stage 5 (t350) wheel? What kind of spool can I expect with this turbo? Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You should be fine to 9K with those 288 cams + valve springs and that turbo. Power should be about peaking in the 8K range....but shifting @ 9 shouldnt be an issue.

Others will have more info....

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input! I am wanting to rev high so that I dont have to shift so soon at the drag strip, especially 1st gear cause it is so short.

·
Registered
306 Posts
just because your revving to 9k dosent mean your making power there. Thats a proven turbo which im running right now. The stage 5 t3 wheel th350 is the biggest in the t3 base wheels. A P trim turbine is a t4 turbine wheel and its alittle bigger and compliments the 60-1 compressor well. Most t67s the smallest wheel they have is a P trim turbine. Its alittle lazy but tuning will make it work.

With that a/r turbine housing on a 2.0 i assume you will hit 20 or so psi by 5k or alittle more with a .82 a/r but that depends on tuning. If your running some kind of engine management you can pull some timing down low to get it to hit alittle faster. If you wanted to go to a smaller turbine housing there availible around the 200 dollar range. That turbo should be able to put your in the 550-600hp range tuned, race gas high boost (+29psi)

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
The most I would rev to on a 60-1 is 8,5K no higher if you like to rev to 9+K.
Get a GT40R or GT42R they make great power out there.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Is your T4 turbine housing twin-scroll or open?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the help guys!

Turbosteve
I appreciate all of the info! I am ok with having a laggy turbo, cause in dd
traffic I will just get better gas mileage cause I will stay out of boost. I am going to be tuning with link, so I believe I can pull timing down low to help spool and drivablity. I cant wait to tune it to have all of that power, it will be a lot different then the stock turbo I previously had on my car.

Hand1222000
I like high reving motors, so that is why I like to rev mine high. This car is my daily, so I dont think a 42r would be practical for me.

99gst racer
I have a t3 open housing (non twin scroll) with a p-trim t4 wheel inside of it.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I would try it out and get it tune really good and make some track or Street runs. I have a T04E cover so you will be pulling more CFM's then me due to the 4"inlet vs my 3"inlet.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will hopefully be able to make it to the local track in about a month or so, and I will see what she does.

Since I have a SMIM will that also aid in the top end power? Will it hurt my spool time even more?

·
Registered
306 Posts
its not about what turbo you have, its about dyno proven numbers. Your graph for power might fall off at 7k or it might fall off at 9.5k Once you start looking at 500+hp capable turbos your gonna make power higher in the rpm range, but you wont know where it lets off till you get on a dyno and see were it does. Every setups different.

Rockbmx i would invest in a sheet metal intake manifold if you dont have one, this will aid mid to top end power alot. It seems like the stock manifold dosnt like high rpms!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Rockbmx1 said:
I will hopefully be able to make it to the local track in about a month or so, and I will see what she does.

Since I have a SMIM will that also aid in the top end power? Will it hurt my spool time even more?

As long as the runners are short it should work great. Get some video of the trip to the track and let me know how it goes. I might be taking mine also pretty soon Have a race with a couple of turbocharged 5.0's.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Turbosteve
I do have a SMIM, and that is a great suggestion. It is set up with a Q45 tb, and it also has all the lines for direct port nitrous. I wont be using the no2 for a while, but I will use it for spool up.

Hand1222000
The runners on the SMIM are decent, It is one of the old school venom manifolds (the square, not the round plentum) so I should help.

I have pretty much bought all my parts to be for a lot of power. Most things are oversized and overkill like my 3 inch IC piping, and 288 cams, ect. I want to pull out as much power as possible from this turbo. My next upgrade besides a built tranny will probably be a gt35hta and AEM EMS, so that is why I when overboard with big parts, cause I will push that thing to its limits!

·
Registered
306 Posts
i just got the ems in my car, one of the best upgrades i did besides the ptt twin disk. Car runs like it was stock. If you ever need any good start up maps to get you going, i got some good ones.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That would be awesome. I just need to fine a deal on the ems. I think I will need to get a twin disk soon too. If I am pushing 500-600whp, then that is a great deal of stress on a single disk clutch.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I have a 60-1 on a built motor and at 18psi the turbo is pulled pretty hard on 272 cams.. I don't suggest 288's with this turbo, but 280's should make it a beast.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Burnett03 said:
I have a 60-1 on a built motor and at 18psi the turbo is pulled pretty hard on 272 cams.. I don't suggest 288's with this turbo, but 280's should make it a beast.
I already have the 288's so I will use them rather then buy new ones. What have you done to your motor? What have you raced and won against with your car at 18psi? Any good kills with it?

·
Registered
359 Posts
hand1222000 said:
The most I would rev to on a 60-1 is 8,5K no higher if you like to rev to 9+K.
Get a GT40R or GT42R they make great power out there.
The 60-1 (with the stage 5 wheel) flows in the same range as or a little more than the gt4082. Which gt40r are you talking about???

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wheelhop said:
The 60-1 (with the stage 5 wheel) flows in the same range as or a little more than the gt4082. Which gt40r are you talking about???
Is this true? Isn't the gt40 a pretty big turbo? I don't think I realize how big my turbo is.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts