DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys so I'm trying to get this 6 bolt up and ready to drop in. The problem is that I don't have a ton of money to spend and the only thing that really concerns me is the oil pump. Is there anyway to just check mine out or rebuild it without having to replace the whole assembly?

Heres a list of all I'm doing.
-New rings on stock 1g rods and pistons.
-Cylinder hone.
-New bearings.
-BSE
-2G head with ARP's
-MLS Head gasket
-replacing all seals and gaskets.

The thing is that the one that is on there I know is OEM Mitsubishi and I don't want to buy a cheapie topline pump, but I also don't want to spend the 200+ to buy a new one.

I found the gasket, ACL bearings and NPR ring set for about $100. The BSE about $40, I already have the hone. I figure $200 for the head gasket and ARP's. I also have to buy a 6bolt flywheel, 1g-2g CAS harness from Magnus and do those 6bolt swap mods.

After all this I really don't have the extra $200 with life and this other crap to pay for. I already have a new water pump.

Another concern I have is that my new 6bolt didn't come with the crank bolt(the bolt that goes in and holds the timing gears on the crank), but I do have my 2G bolt. Will I be able to use it?

Also the harmonic balancer looks rough, can I reuse my 2g one?

I'm sure I will update later with more questions. Thanks for all the help in advance.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No hurry guys, really lol. Actually hurry isn't that big of a deal because I'm just now tearing into the motor today. But I will need to know these answers buy August 1st. That is when re-assembly begins:D !

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I threaded the crank bolt into my 6bolt crank and it fit. So I guess I answered my own question there. Also decided on extra insurance, I'm just going to wait and buy a new oil pump+BSE from extremepsi.com.

Still not sure on the dampener pulley?

I came up with a new question. While doing research I was reading that the 1g cams are better than 2g cams. Now I do have a 1g head lying around but I don't have a clue if it has bent valves, burns oil, warped etc. I know 100% that my 2g head will work properly. My ? is can I swap the cams out? If so is it really going to be an upgrade?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah....finally after 102 people reading this thread, I got some kind of an answer. Thanks man, even a slight upgrade sounds good to me (especially when its basically free). I mean who in there right mind with these just laying around wouldn't use them? So I take it I can just swap them in?

·
Registered
33 Posts
One other thing that you have forgotten. You will have to drill the holes out in the 2g head, to run it on the 6bolt block. The 1g engines used larger ARP's than the 2g block. I'm confirming about running your 2g crank pulley, and yes, the balance shaft elim kit is the same for all years.

Justin W

Don't forget getting a 1g CAS and (best option) DSMLink so you don't have any CEL's.

·
Banned
1,669 Posts
Bradikus7 said:
Ah....finally after 102 people reading this thread, I got some kind of an answer. Thanks man, even a slight upgrade sounds good to me (especially when its basically free). I mean who in there right mind with these just laying around wouldn't use them? So I take it I can just swap them in?

Yes.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I have done tons of research and my head hurts lol. It's always nice just to have a few questions answered for you. I am aware of the 1g head bolts being larger, I'm having the holes bored to fit in the head. Also I ended up getting a super deal on a complete 6bolt minus turbo and it came with a green top CAS. Though I am thinking of selling it because I hear the black top is better.

I live in Ohio and a major DSM builder called Showdown Motorsports is where I would like to have my engine work done. You guys know anything about them? Quality work? Affordable? I still need my block acid bathed, honed and my crank micropolished.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i would say dont use the 7 bolt crank pully on your 6 bolt bottom end, i did that and it was bad news. if you compare a 6 bolt pully to the 7 bolt they are clearly different.remember now, they are 2 different cranks that weigh different, soo different pully's for different cranks. i belive they have different part numbers also. but seems your off to a good start!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
16g-2ndgen said:
i would say dont use the 7 bolt crank pully on your 6 bolt bottom end, i did that and it was bad news. if you compare a 6 bolt pully to the 7 bolt they are clearly different.remember now, they are 2 different cranks that weigh different, soo different pully's for different cranks. i belive they have different part numbers also. but seems your off to a good start!
Really? Hmmm....thanks for the heads up, I was just going to try it, but now I think I'm going to look for a used one.

On a second note, I let my imagination wonder today and of coarse that generates more questions:D .

1. I'm removing my knock sensor on the 6 bolt block for the machine work, is there anything I need to do before I install my 2g knock sensor in the block?

2. Can I use copper spray on all my gasket surfaces?

3. Do I need to remove the dowels on the deck before machine work?

Thanks guys, these questions will all be over soon.:D

·
Registered
569 Posts
1. You could chase the threads to clean them out but besides that theres nothing else really.

2. Yes, you can use copper spray on every gasket if you wanted that extra insurance. Make sure to let it get tacky first.

3. No, you dont have to remove the dowel pins. The machine shop themselves will remove them if you are decking the block.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lasthope05 said:
1. You could chase the threads to clean them out but besides that theres nothing else really.

2. Yes, you can use copper spray on every gasket if you wanted that extra insurance. Make sure to let it get tacky first.

3. No, you dont have to remove the dowel pins. The machine shop themselves will remove them if you are decking the block.
Wow, I think it is somewhat ironic that lasthope05 answered all my questions, because he is infact my last hope. Lol thanks for the knowledge man. No further questions........yet:D .

·
Registered
679 Posts
Bradikus7 said:
Not selling my 2g head, but possibly the 1g head? PM me if interested.

Came up with another question:D .

1.Oil squirters, keep them or remove them?
If your running forge pistons you don't really need them because aftermarket pistons disapate heat much better then the stockers.

But if your running 1g or 2g piston's, i'd keep them.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
b00stedtalon2 said:
If your running forge pistons you don't really need them because aftermarket pistons disapate heat much better then the stockers.

But if your running 1g or 2g piston's, i'd keep them.
Whoa, thanks I didn't even think about that. So to remove them, the only thing that need be done is unbolt them right? Oh btw I am running either an Eagle rod/Ross piston combo or an Eagle rod/Wiseco piston combo.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Bradikus7 said:
Whoa, thanks I didn't even think about that. So to remove them, the only thing that need be done is unbolt them right? Oh btw I am running either an Eagle rod/Ross piston combo or an Eagle rod/Wiseco piston combo.
Yeah just remove them. ALSO, since you aren't running balance shafts or oil squirters, be SURE to port your relief valve on the oil filter housing. If you don't, your oil pressure is going to be sky rocketing. Should be be like 80psi max, I was seeing like 150psi without just the balance shafts.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am completely sick of not driving my car. And the good weather around here is almost over. I have decided to do a basically stock rebuild and just get the car moving. I also may be moving myself(this is part of my decision).

Here is what I'm doing:

-Buying NPR rings, keeping stock pistons and rods.

-Buying ACL race bearings.

-ARP Headbolts and Cometig HG.

-Keeping oil squirters for now.

-Balance shaft elimination.

I will be on a B16g for a while so this setup will do. But of coarse I have a few questions.

1. I have searched on micro polishing the crank but can't find an answer. How necessary is this and where can I have it done?

2. Heard mixed reviews on using MLS HG on non machine surface. I know my head is not warped, with copper spray will it be fine on a cleaned surface?

3. If no on answer number 2, I have a Fel-Pro composite HG, will this be decent seeing 22lbs?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.