DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have a 3000gt motor, tranny, ecu, and wiring harness, and transfercase. I know already your ready to hit the x button and if your ready to tell me not to do it go ahead and hit it. I also have a 95 eagle talon gst. I will be putting the engine in its bay. I would apreaciate all help and advice given to make this as easy as possible. I will be doing the fabing my self.
Ok for starters I have made a few measurements comparing to a 3000gtvr4 engine bay I need roughly 19 inches more front to rear. and around 2 inches more side to side. Yes the car will be mostly a toy. So please DSM masters help me to do this as painlessly as possible. (I know its like cutting your leg off with common household tools on purpose. Still its going to happen)

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
I dont think it will happen.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
You dont want to hear this, but the 4g63 is a stronger engine overall with more aftermarket support. I dont understand why you would want to do the swap.

That being said,

If you have a good welder and some sort of cad program this should be no problem for you. While your in there, please try to make a tube k member as that will save you alot of weight since your going to have to modify it anyways. As far as cv axles go, you need to get the vr4 cv axles and compare them with the eclipse's and start figuring out which set you can use or what combo of the two will work if either will.

I think you should go with a megasquirt ecu! I wouldnt use the stock ecu due to the fact wiring up a standalone is actually simpler than wireing up a stock ecu on a mitsu car. Its rediculous.

Here is a sample megasquirt setup using the 6g72 n/a

http://www.msruns.com/viewtopic.php?f=102&t=22607

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I'm with EE on this one, but I want to be suprized. And yea...DSM's definately seem to have more aftermarket support, so you'd most likely not make as much power as you potentially could, but hey, it's your car, and it's definately different.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I think you are going to run into turbo troubles, the rear on a VR4 is already awfully close to the fire wall, you could though, get someone to run it into a single turbo setup and relocate the turbo- that would clear up your front/rear space.

On the sides, I don't know how you could save any space. You could try using a FWD trans instead of the Getrag- which is massive to begin with.

Yeah, I don't know. Why not just go buy a 2G base model 3000GT and drop it in. It's easier, will be almost just as fast, and you can sell for quite a bit of money when you are done.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
hawaiifiveoh said:
I'm with EE on this one, but I want to be suprized. And yea...DSM's definately seem to have more aftermarket support, so you'd most likely not make as much power as you potentially could, but hey, it's your car, and it's definately different.

3kgt's are DSM's, aren't they? You mean the 4G63 motor, not DSM's in general

Either way, this would be a cool project. Good luck, and post as many pics as possible!!!

·
Registered
938 Posts
+1 for RWD. That would be fun AND different.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok day 2 I have been doing more measurements and I have figured that front to back is 4 inches too long and side to side is 1 inch too wide.
For the comment about the not using the getrag. I already have a getrag.
Also it will not be RWD or FWD. I will be AWD. Also I will be using a gsx rear end. I will have a local shop make a driveshaft To fit. I have started removing all the engine bay parts so far the only things I plan to keep are the power steering and radiator. It may take a few days to remove everything. I am planning still. Of course the headlights too.
It makes it so much easier looking at a 3000gtvr4 engine bay sitting beside my talon engine bay also. So all help along the way will be greatly appreaciated.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.