DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 12" cheap but nice fosgates right now and don't like the weight. What do you guys think of a single Cerwin-Vega VEGA 84 8" Single Voice Coil Subwoofer in a sealed Qlogic box with 200 watts throw at it? I can get the box for 10 bux and the sub for 80 so... I'm to lazy to build another one just for it, was a huge pita for the first one...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or else whats the best sub and box combo, such as a bass tube etc... I know rockford has a couple new systems out. I have a amp so it's to just be the box and sub thanks.

·
Registered
747 Posts
That 8" setup will work fine, but don't expect even close to the sound you have now. An 8" sub can't even come close to reproducing the low frequencies that a 12" can--- nevermind the digital coupling gain you have from two woofers.........

·
Registered
228 Posts
Agreed. As compared to STOCK.. the 8 will sound great. Being usde to 2 12's, you are going to be disappointed. If you are concerned about weight, why not use ONE of your 12's in a sealed box and run it mono? Much better bass than the 8", but half the size and wieght of the box you have now.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
if you want the same hard hitting bass with 8's..Get 3 of them..A buddy of mine has 3 JLAudio 8's.I don't know what model though.It pounds really hard.

·
Registered
612 Posts
TechT said:
if you want the same hard hitting bass with 8's..Get 3 of them..A buddy of mine has 3 JLAudio 8's.I don't know what model though.It pounds really hard.
:rolleyes: weight man.. he wants to cut down on his weight.. I agree though for a good entry level sub the JL's are nice... but he's not all too concerned w/ power levels or he would keep what he has.. just aviod a plexiglass box and you will be fine. I think the q-logics are MDF(?) or birchwood so I dont believe they are too heavy.

-Aaron

·
Registered
747 Posts
I was gonna write about the weight thing too...........

Q-Logics ARE MDF.

Bandpass (plexi) boxes aren't very accurate. Especially the single ones. Nice reply CleanGS97!

I like theamazingjime's idea of keeping one of his 12's! (Except with one sub you'll want to run MIXED mono)

:rudolph: Christmas is coming! Busy times ahead! :tree:

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
get a single good 10. it will hit ten times harder and deeper than an 8, and sound a ton better, without adding a whole lot of weight. a jl 10w3, audiomobile MASS 10, image dynamics idq, just to name a few that are moderately priced. not sure about the audiomobile, but the jl and image dynamics are made for a small sealed enclosure... my 10w3 in the box weighs like 15 lbs, and sounds incredible! :)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
OOOPPPPSSSSS,I forgot to mention that he has the 3 8"s in a Fiberglass tube.....Now how much weight can that add..........LMAO

·
Registered
125 Posts
Get a CV Stroker, mega-booms with not too much added weight.

·
Registered
747 Posts
A CV Stroker 10" weighs in at 29 lb, 4 oz. The 12" is 31 lb, 4 oz. The 18" is 39 lb, 12 oz. Those are the figures WITHOUT the huge box required! They also need tons of power to perform. A great speaker, but lightweight? NO. (I am a Cerwin-Vega! dealer)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah, but the Strokers are BEASTS! They are big, ugly and LOUD. Guess that makes em beasts. Anyway, if you are stuck on an 8 mabey the kicker L7? Or L5, same cone area, but I dunno if the mag is any smaller. But the difference is probably the same as if you didnt stop at Micky D's for lunch. Seriously, if you are racing or something, make a removable sub enclosure. The weight difference between a single 12 and an 8 just isnt worth the loss in bass IMO.
-Beau

·
Registered
103 Posts
I say 1 L7 8", lightwieght, small box, good output, needs moderate power, but not a SQ sub.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
for what it's worth, the bazooka tubes are also great for what they are.... cheap, small, and lightweight. i had a little 6.5" bazooka tube in the spare tire well for a few weeks between subs, and that little thing SLAMMED like crazy! i can only imagine what a 8 or 10" tube would sound like. but bazooka tubes are also cheap, and fit invisibly in the spare tire well, along with your amp. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts