DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I use a 91 distributor I see them on ebay complete for under $100 But when I do compatibility check it says will not fit my car, is there anything I can do to make it work? Thanks

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,899 Posts
Need more information.

Most of the cars here don't use a distributor, their spark plugs are connected directly to the coils and fired by the ECU. The exception is the 1.8L 4G37 engines in some 1G NA cars.

There are differences in the ignition systems between the 89/90 4G63 cars and the 91-94 models. The CAS, PTU and Coil packs are different and have different connectors because of that.

So start by telling us what car you have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it's a 89 1.8 eclipse, it had a distributor that had the coil and pickup module in the distributor, but it has pigtail coming out from it, I seen some on ebay complete but has a din pug. Can I just get the din plug and then hard wire ot in?

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,899 Posts
Thanks, I suspected it was a 4G37.

I expect it's as simple as splicing the 2 correct connectors onto you're existing harness to use the newer style distributor.
I don't have my 90 manuals here to compare the pinouts to know if the wire colors match or if the wire order is the same.

Here's what the later model distributors wiring is:

Font Parallel Art Paper Drawing

Rectangle Font Parallel Engineering Number

Schematic Rectangle Slope Font Parallel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts