DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

How much psi should I go with using N/A 9.0:1 pistons with turbo. Should I just go with 2G 4g63T 8.5:1 pistons?? what's your opinion? I have a few days until I get my car back. I'm really worried about braking the engine. Please HELP.

A friend of mine is selling me EVO8 pistons and rods. They are stronger than mine....Are they??? Do they fit into my 2G 4g63 with no problems??

·
Registered
268 Posts
why are you using n/a pistons? id say they will take about 6-10psi before the melt down

·
Registered
220 Posts
stick with the 8.5:1 unless you are using dsmlink or something along that line and know how to tune.

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,386 Posts
i1nk83 said:
why are you using n/a pistons? id say they will take about 6-10psi before the melt down
and 20psi on pump gas is impossible :rolleyes:
think before you post. i run 20+ psi daily on 9:1 pistons and 94 octane. the casting of the na pistons should not be of any lower quality than the turbo pistons. as long as you keep knock at a minimum you shouldn't have a problem. i would personally just use a set of 2g turbo pistons or invest in a set of forged pistons but if you're stuck with the na's for now just focus on your tuning and you should be fine.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The castings isn't the problem, it's where the rings are positioned on those pistons. They're pretty high up on the piston, so it doesn't take much detonation to take it out and crack something if you don't know what you're doing when you tune it.

Just throw in a set of 2G pistons and be done with it.

·
Elite DSMtalker
866 Posts
90_talon_matt said:
and 20psi on pump gas is impossible :rolleyes:
think before you post. i run 20+ psi daily on 9:1 pistons and 94 octane. the casting of the na pistons should not be of any lower quality than the turbo pistons. as long as you keep knock at a minimum you shouldn't have a problem. i would personally just use a set of 2g turbo pistons or invest in a set of forged pistons but if you're stuck with the na's for now just focus on your tuning and you should be fine.
My thoughts exactly. My 13 sec daily has a complete N/T longblock with a hybrid turbo bolted on. I run 18psi on a regular basis with 93 octane, factory ECU and 450cc injectors. However I am an advocate of using forged pistons.

I ran 25 psi on 93 octane with my old race motor(9:1 JEs) no problems. It seen meltdown with C16, but thats a differnt story.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do eagle rods make a good combination with 2G pistons?? OR Can I use EVO8 forged pistons with these eagle rods. I don't know how much it would cost me to get forged pistons brand new. I was just wondering. I can go with my 2g pistons or get my friend's EVO8 stock forged pistons. What should I do??

·
Honorary Administrator
17,457 Posts
While it is possible to customize and use EVO8 pistons it isn't worth it money wise. For the money you spend you could have bought the appropriate forged option.

9:1 n/t pistons are doable as others have said. Just watch your knock!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
greenstreak said:
While it is possible to customize and use EVO8 pistons it isn't worth it money wise. For the money you spend you could have bought the appropriate forged option.

9:1 n/t pistons are doable as others have said. Just watch your knock!
How much will it cost to get some 9:1 forged pistons??? I have this friend of mine that sells me the evo8 forged pistons for a much cheaper price. My budget is very low now, OR should I just use my 2g pistons with the eagle rods???

What do you mean about customizing the evo8 pistons??? Is it the same work I will do to my 2g ones???

Thanks

·
Elite DSMtalker
3,738 Posts
The ring lands on the nt pistons are in a different location and aren't as thick. They will not take to detonation the way the turbo pistons due. I've not known any engine running high boost on the nt pistons to last more than a year. I've seen multiple people try and none have made it last.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK

Read above. Now that I'll not use the N/A pistons, this is the new scenario. I have the EAGLE RODS to put into and a set of 2g pistons. Also as I mentioned above I have a friend selling EVO 8 FORGED pistons.

I now want to get you guys opinion for what pistons should I use now. EVO8 or 2G pistons?? I have the block and head apart waiting.

Thanks

·
Registered
883 Posts
just use the 2gen pistons, the evo 8 I don't know what u would have to do to get them to work.. I've heard of guys running 350 + with 2gen, just gotta wach your tuning like a bitch.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
check back the date.

I had been using the car with the n/a pistons at 9psi (safe) for 3 months. I wanted more psi but I didn't have any supporting mods. The exhaust would vibrate like crazy due to the force generated. I was told by the mechanic that I should put a complete exhaust system before I kill the engine. I guess I had exhaust lock. It's a 4G63 JDM n/a with the t-25 I had in my previous engine. Why this?? hell a lot cheaper. Anyways, the car ran amazing before I crashed it into a tree two months ago. Now that I'm fixing it I'll put the exhaust and do some upgrades to reach 13highs with my spyder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts