DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats wrong with this picture( story)?

2005 Pontiac GXP stock
5.3 v8 auto fwd 4-door
1/4- 14.4
303hp at the crank
this is a car owned by people that dont know anything bout cars , neglected by its owners,
my friend borrowed it

vs.

1990 GST
fmic
bov
intake
ported 14b
ported o2
exhaust apexi n1(no cat)
[email protected]??
prosport boost gauge
jack, tools, parts in trunk

i thought i'd be neck and neck with him and at least win, but from a rolling start 20ish i jump out in front of him in 1st then he flys by me like nothin in 2nd...he puts like 3-4 cars on me then i barely start to creep on him in 3rd till thers no more road to race down.

Is ther something wrong with my car? i know i have a small oil leak at the oil cooler line and a leak at pcv line but come on! i should be runnin high 13s low 14s right?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hell no you are not ever running high 13's, low 14's. Probably low 15's at best. It does sound like one thing you said is for sure though... = Your car is not running right... because of you. Welcome to the world of DSM's.

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
You rackeh de driver mod

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yajstylez said:
Hell no you are not ever running high 13's, low 14's. Probably low 15's at best. It does sound like one thing you said is for sure though... = Your car is not running right... because of you. Welcome to the world of DSM's.
What do u mean i will never run 13s or 14s...if i can do it in a 4000lb car i can do it in this little toy...

i have completed all the free mods and most of stage 1 mods, except clutch, 2g manifold, and downpipe....so i thought i'd be good.

and i have seen a good amount of timeslips on dsmtuners... gst's with 14bs running similar mods with the time i want to run ...high 13s, low 14s...so dont know whats up....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fanaticdsm-er said:
mbc at 14psi ?? Why so low?
Waiting to rewire fuel pump and i dont trust my boost gauge for some reason it doesnt zero out...

Do you have any idea what 1/4mile your running..
i like your mods...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Because you more than likely still have less power than his. AWD does take power, plus his car is new and the motor will be just nicely broken in, where yours will be almost broken.

I don't remember what stock is (6 or 12?), but if it's 12 psi then you really aren't getting much more power out of your mild 14psi off the 14b. You defiantly need to crank up the boost after you rewire, it will throw a decent amount more out of the 14b.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
dehlak said:
Because you more than likely still have less power than his. AWD does take power, plus his car is new and the motor will be just nicely broken in, where yours will be almost broken.

I don't remember what stock is (6 or 12?), but if it's 12 psi then you really aren't getting much more power out of your mild 14psi off the 14b. You defiantly need to crank up the boost after you rewire, it will throw a decent amount more out of the 14b.
His car is fwd.

Check for boost leaks and do a compression test if you havent already. That fmic is probably hurting you more than helping assuming it is a big one. Get a logger, rewire your pump, up the boost and watch that gxp from your review mirror.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stock boost with bcs removed read 10-11psi.

Is there an average power increase with each psi... like one psi = 10hp?...dont no if it works that way...

i will be doin wet and dry compression test this weekend thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Deathtrap_DSM said:
Is there an average power increase with each psi... like one psi = 10hp?...dont no if it works that way...
One would expect an exponential relationship, would they not? Regardless, it would be different on every car, stock to stock, or even mod to mod.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Deathtrap_DSM said:
Is there an average power increase with each psi... like one psi = 10hp?
NO! Your car is old as hell. GXPs are no slouches. Just because albeedigital.com says your car is faster doesn't make it so. There is probably something wrong, but you're on the right track with the compression test. Boost leak test is next, especially since you have an aftermarket FMIC.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I didnt know dsm's really ran with stages. Except dsmtuners little write up they have. Like its been stated a fmic with a 14b is really not that necessary unless you are close to maxing it out. But too late for that you have one on. I havent ran a quarter mile but the t25 is smaller and more inneficient than the 14b your running so you'd probably have a better time than i would.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don Boosted said:
Just because albeedigital.com says your car is faster doesn't make it so. There is probably something wrong, but you're on the right track with the compression test. Boost leak test is next, especially since you have an aftermarket FMIC.
ummm...albeedigital says my car runs a 15.9 & the gxp 14.3....so....

And i just finsihed putting my boost leak tester together from home depot...and my fmic doesnt look the best alot of bent fins and a dent on the bottom...thanks to the previous owner

on my way to advance...(typing on fly via my phone)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Also agree with getting a logger but you could also try to lean things out with an safc. Of course get a good boost guage, a logger, then a safc. And check for boost leaks.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Maintenance before mods. Fix everything, then take out the dead weight (tools etc) re-wire the fuel pump, get a good boost gauge and set it to 16-17psi with a logger to watch for knock. And try again.

Also you could just cut the CAT out and weld in a straight piece of pipe. That will help reduce backpressure a little.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
fanaticdsm-er said:
I didnt know dsm's really ran with stages. Except dsmtuners little write up they have. Like its been stated a fmic with a 14b is really not that necessary unless you are close to maxing it out. But too late for that you have one on. I havent ran a quarter mile but the t25 is smaller and more inneficient than the 14b your running so you'd probably have a better time than i would.
yeah talking bout the dsmtuners stage thing...this is my first dsm, first turbo, first fwd and first 4cyl
so i been following alot of advice from them

car came with all mods stated...all ive been doing is replacing parts, axles, tires, mounts, lines, filter, ignition parts, and various interior parts

my garage:
80 cutlass supreme 383... sold
89 iroc.. sold
94 lt1 9c1
99 5.7 tahoe

·
Registered
436 Posts
You cant compare 1/4 mile times in a roll race.. Trap speeds come into play there..

·
Registered
390 Posts
Realistically, youre probably running mid 14's to high 14's, maybe. On my stock sidemount, the best time I got was a 13.6 and im running a 16g plus mods, but that was only on 16psi though.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Deathtrap_DSM said:
Whats wrong with this picture( story)?

2005 Pontiac GXP stock
5.3 v8 auto fwd 4-door
1/4- 14.4
303hp at the crank
this is a car owned by people that dont know anything bout cars , neglected by its owners,
my friend borrowed it

vs.

1990 GST
fmic
bov
intake
ported 14b
ported o2
exhaust apexi n1(no cat)
[email protected]??
prosport boost gauge
jack, tools, parts in trunk

i thought i'd be neck and neck with him and at least win, but from a rolling start 20ish i jump out in front of him in 1st then he flys by me like nothin in 2nd...he puts like 3-4 cars on me then i barely start to creep on him in 3rd till thers no more road to race down.

Is ther something wrong with my car? i know i have a small oil leak at the oil cooler line and a leak at pcv line but come on! i should be runnin high 13s low 14s right?

First and foremost, welcome to the fun nightmare that is DSM ownership!

I definitley agree with doing all of your maintenance prior to worrying about mods. Don't be discouraged with your cars slower than expected performance, best thing to do is to start fresh and do your maintenance and mods in a methodical manner in the proper order (BTW, the fact that you're waiting to turn up the boost untill you rewire/upgrade your fuel pump shows that you ARE trying to do things the right way). Also, get yourself a simple, reliable boost guage; they're cheap, and will help keep you from making the engine go boom. Vfaq and this site will give you an immense reference guide during your build. good luck!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Been a long while sind I done posted up in here! BUT, I just want to say that remember. You AWD, and him FWD.

Your 1/4 mile time wont mean too much on a highway (from a roll) run. Your low 1/4 mile DSM time is from a decent AWD launch! His is from a FWD. And to top that off he has much less drivetrain loss than you so that adds in too.

Now, feel better, go do some maintenance, and enjoy that car! :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts