DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 110k mile GSX has a quart a week habit. Though it runs fine, the number one spark plug tells a tale of oil burnage. I'm purchasing a rebuilt (and complete) '94 head. I was just curious as to any changes or problems or snafu's I might run into.

I should use new '94 spec head bolts, correct?

Is there any difference in the camshaft angle sensor or any other minor tidbits?

Are there any specialized tools required?

Any tricks/shortcuts to taking off the timing belt without having to disassemble everything attached to a belt on the drivers side of the engine? (my current belt is very very recent).

What gaskets survive? I'm replacing the head gasket and all rubber gaskets. I'm mainly curious about the intake/exhaust manifolding. What other gaskets are durable/reusable?

------------------
-Mike
'90 GSX
'93 RX-7 TT

·
Registered
729 Posts
First off, the 94 head should be the same as a 90, at least as far as installation and transferring of all your old parts is concerned.
I'm not sure that a new head is going to take car of that oil burning problem, i think it would be more likely that your piston rings are shot.
Anyways, get the arp headstuds but get them for your 90 block. The studs thread into the block and have nuts to fasten the head down. The 90's use smaller stud diameters than the 94's... or is it visa-versa, i don't remember. Just make sure the studs are for the same year as the block.

As for the timing belt, sorry but there is really no safe or easy way to avoid doing the whole disassembley.

Get the stock head gasket. Beleive it or not, it is the best.

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the compression, in order to rule out ring problems. All four cylinders are within 158-160 range... I understand this is well above spec and better than average. A wet test also indicated no difference between cylinders.

So the OE fasteners for the head are bolts, but the preferred method is to use ARP studs and nuts? Just checking to be sure.

Thanks for the advice,

------------------
-Mike
'90 GSX
'93 RX-7 TT

·
Registered
729 Posts
Yeah, the factory uses head "bolts", but the arp head studs can handle way more.
The stock bolts will actually stretch as you tighten them. You cant literaly see them stretch, but it is enough to reduce their holding abilities. Incidentaly, if you were to reuse your old bolts they would be even weaker because they got stretched at the factory and then again when you tighten the head. Each time you reuse them they stretch and get weaker.

If you were to buy a set of OE head bolts new they would still cost over half the price of the arp's. So bite the extra $40 bucks or so and go bullet-proof.

As for the oil problem, are you sure it isn't the turbo either? I can't think of how the head would leak oil. Unless the valve seals were leaking... I've never heard of this being a problem though.

And one more thing The studs can be a bit tricky to get threaded. What i did is slipped a peice of rubber tubing over the end of the stud so that i could tighten it down. They only need to be snug in the block, its the nuts that get torqued down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exactly. It had the valve-guide seals done... but I bet the guides weren't replaced. I'm just swapping the head for convenience. I don't want to mess with all those little parts and I don't need excessive downtime for my daily-driver. This is something I can do *somewhat* easily and quickly.

Thanks,

------------------
-Mike
'90 GSX
'93 RX-7 TT

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh... The turbo seems to be in fine shape. I actually have a spare 14B. The oil coated spark plug is only on cyl #1. The others are nice white/almond. If the turbo was bad all the plugs would be oil-coated.

I'm also getting a great deal of blue smoke on cold\warm starts and when idling for a long while. The 4g63's achilles heel.

I'm going to get the ARP studs as you recommend, any good vendors?

Thanks again,

------------------
-Mike
'90 GSX
'93 RX-7 TT

·
Registered
729 Posts
I got my arp's from Buschur for about $110. I'd shop around, 'cause i don't know if that's the best price. I've heard of some online auto parts stores haveing coupons for 33% off. Check the parts trader to find out what store and what the coupon code is.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You guys assume alot. The 90-94 heads are NOT the same and will NOT interchange without modification. The factory bolts on a 90-92 are 12mm and 11mm from 93 up. Yes it's true you should get arp studs for the appropriate year BLOCK should you choose to use them but they will never go through the holes in a 93 up head if you do. Nor will the stock bolts for that matter. Now the head CAN be used but you have to enlarge the bolt holes. This being said a 90-92 head CAN be used on a 93-94 as it isn't the bolts that locate the head anyway..it's the dowels. Yes I have seen this done personally.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts