DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Just got my 91 Eclipse GS back from the shop. It has 113,000 miles on it and I got the usual stuff
done on it (brakes,timing belt,fuel filter, spark plugs). They checked
the engine compression for me and they gave me these numbers:
1.) 145
2.) 160
3.) 160
4.) 180

I really have no idea what any of that means. She said it meant the engine
was still running good and had life in it. Can anyone tell me a little more
on what that all means. Thanks a lot in advance!

-Joe Krajewski
[email protected]

·
Registered
129 Posts
According to my chilton's book:

2.0 non turbo: 192 standard compression 145 minimum compression
1.8: 185 standard compression 130 minimum compression
2.0 turbo: 165 standard compression 121 minimum compression

There shouldn't be a difference of more than 14 psi between cylinders.

------------------
'92 Talon TSi FWD
K&N cut air can, DDP mbc @ 15 psi
[email protected] 2.5 60ft

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your quick reply. I have the 1.8L engine in my GS. There is obviously more than a 14 point difference between 1 and 2 and 3 and 4, but is there anything I can do about it ? Is it that bad of a thing? what does this effect? I see that I dont go below the minimum you showed of 130, so thats good right? Thanks again for your reply!
-Joe

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
That is definitely not the normal pattern of compression loss. Usually it is either 2 or 3 that loses it first due to the higher chamber temps. You need to do a leak down test to determine where the loss is occuring. There are really only two culprits on a healthy engine, the valve seals or the piston rings. The repairs would be extensive but not overwhelming, they both can be accomplished by a shadetree mechanic without a large outlay of cash.

On an unhealthy engine, well lets just say the variables are numerous and depends on the extent damage. Worn cylinder walls, bent valves, out of time, burnt valves, broken rings, and on and on. Repairs to these sort of things can take weeks and require the entire powertrain be removed from the car.

[This message has been edited by dsm4eva (edited September 13, 2000).]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks dsm4eva for your reply...after reading your reply I am now worried about the compression loss. Do you personally think that this is something I need to even look into, or get fixed ? As far as I know, and as far as what the mechanics looked at the past 2 days, it is a healthy engine. Thanks again!

-Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts