DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like I said, the video I made real quick after work today should sum it up. I got it for free, and did plugs, wires, MAF, twist the dist and tps a bit, and most all basic stuff. I don't have a clue what it is, but seems maybe fuel related? I really have no idea, and frankly shouldn't have taken on another project, but you know how a DSMer reacts to a free anything....:eek: A little help would be awesome here. It's a crappy video, but frankly it gets the point across.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvUbNC-F5AY

(God, I ended that with the gayest little lisp eva. Lol!:dunno: :gay: )

·
Registered
284 Posts
Just a thought, maybe check TPS voltage throughout throttle travel, see if it's losing it. Also, maybe check for large air leaks between the MAF and the throttle body. These are just shots in the dark.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely good thoughts. The MAF worked on the last car it was on fine, but I'll check it out for sure. Now it is the stock intake tube, so I didn't even think to check for dryrot or cracks and stuff. Thanks.

·
Registered
532 Posts
My old 91 tsi did some think kind of like that so i unpluged the tps and it ran fine.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, my Fri night consisted of me tinkering with it, and it seems like the intake is fine, the MAF is functioning properly, and the tps seems okay. I didn't try unplugging it, but that can't be good for it for long. I'll try tomorrow when the neighbors won't freak and see what happens. It seems to work though, because it responds to being twisted around, but who knows. I didn't think of testing the voltage to/from it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Bear with me, as I'm not too familiar with 1.8 cars. I watched the video again, and from what it looks like, you may be losing ignition timing advance. This would explain how it falls on it's face with an engine load. Does the 1.8 use some sort of hall effect sensor in the distributor? If so, maybe look in that direction. I'm sure someone else here is vastly more knowledgable than me on these peticular engines, so maybe they can add to this.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just watched the video....Id be curious as to how long did it set prior to you getting it? If it was just a short period of time,or a long time?
I kinda get the impression you have a fuel deliverey issue.Perhaps fuel pump/filter related.I read a previous reply stating that he was not that familiar with the 1.8...neither am I.
I believe the fuel gage was registering full, how empty was the tank before you filled it up?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Could be a fuel issue as you stated in the video, pull the rail and have a look at the injectors. If gas sat in the tank too long it could be causing it (did with mine at least). It actually caused my injectors to become completely clogged with dirt. I had to swap the tank out in the end because it had a lot of rust and dirt that kept clogging injectors.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good thoughts, guys. In the video I just started the vehicle, but even after it warms up it does the same thing. Here's some new stuff I've done with no improvements: Full tank of new gas and new filter as of today. Checked rail/injectors. Replaced dist cap.
It still could be the fuel pump itself, but I have my doubts. It just doesn't seem typical of a fuel pump problem. Plus, it only does this under load (usually) so I'm starting to suspect ignition issues. I'm also not super familiar with these motors, even though I should be by now. Anyone think of any ignition component that could be the culprit of these symptoms?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I didn't see a check engine light illuminated, but I also didn't see it light up on startup for the bulb check. I would check for ECU codes, if you can. If you cannot, try this: turn key off/ disconnect 6-way distributor connector/ turn key on/ measure voltage at BK/DB wire/ see if it measures above 4 volts....and report back.

This is the test I have for a code 23.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts