DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, everyone. I only stop by here every so often, but I figured many of you would enjoy hearing this (warning: very long).

Since building "The Beast," as I affectionally call it, and tuning out various little idiosyncratic annoyances, I haven't been able to buy a race. Sure, down at the track someone always lines up alongside me by matter of default, but it's just not the same as a little spontaneous go on the street (when the proper road and rare dearth of traffic make it safe to do so). I've rolled up next to several Camaros, Mustangs, a Supra or two, even a '69 Firebird with a worked 455 and a bottle the size of an in-ground oil tank in the trunk . . . nothing. Maybe it's the fact that The Beast bounces like a jackhammer at idle? What with a cam that feels like it wants to jump up through the intake manifold and the Stingers popping off resonant bursts of fury, I think maybe to an outside perspective my Z resembles a bull with its head down, clawing at the dirt, and seeing red. :) Seriously, getting someone to race is, for lack of a better cliche, like pulling teeth. I got beat plenty of times in my old Vette (a 92' LT1, bone stock), but that never deterred me from trying when I found myself lined up against one of the true big boys. Seems a lot of people would rather not race than lose. What's the fun in that?

Anyway, my long awaited opportunity finally came last night. I was on my way home early this morning (about 2:40 AM) from a friend's house in southern Jersey. The Garden State Parkway at this time is such a pleasant contrast to what I call "The Commuting Hours." For at least 15 miles, at one point, I had the whole highway to myself. A rarity, as anyone who lives in Jersey will tell you.

As I approached one of the many toll plazas on the Parkway, I saw a pair of headlights gaining on me quickly (I was cruising at a comfortable 70). The effortless rate of speed and the foglights clued me in that it was probably something at least moderately fast. I downshifted to third to announce my presence and held the RPMs at about 3800, a neck-snapping launch point for me when racing from a roll.

The car caught me about a 1/4 mile from the plaza. I looked over and, much to my delight, it was a Sonic Blue '03 Cobra! His nose plunged as he stomped the brakes to pull even with me. He blipped the throttle a couple times and paced me to the plaza, which was indication enough for me that he wanted to engage The Beast. A little tinge of nervousness sprouted to life in my stomach. Not for fear that I might lose, but rather a measured concern of how oily the patch of concrete through the toll booth was going to be. Even with drag radials, hooking The Beast up is always an adventure.

Ah, but I get a break--he rolls in and begins to roll out, which made it seem fair to me that I do the same. I'm a lot better off starting from even a slow roll than from a static launch. As soon as I cleared the concrete stantions, he stomped it. I could hear from the snarl of his exhaust that it wasn't stock; '03 Cobras are uncharacteristically quiet, excepting the appealing whine of the blower. Careful not to attach my foot to the floor, I laid down 3/4 throttle and worked my way with caution to the mats. I slammed second, letting off a moment to give the tires a chance to catch, and then stood on it, roaring 3 cars past him, which I increased to 5 cars into third (even with having to let off again) and about 8 by the time I made it to fourth. I shut it down at that point and waited for him to catch up. We played back and forth for the next five miles or so, with my most significant victory being about 10 or 12 cars from a 50 punch up to about 140. And still, much to my surprise, only another car or two was on the road besides us. That didn't last.

Up ahead, as the Cobra guy and I were cruising side-by-side, I spied a peculiar sight. I saw a car with a wide, low profile ass and another car that appeared to be driving in fragmented circles around it. If you're saying, "huh?," that's what I said, too. It wasn't until I got closer that I realized what was going on.

A black Viper GTS ACR was cruising at almost the speed limit in the middle lane. Buzzing around it was an eager DSM, trying, I assume, to get him to play. What this guy (the DSM driver) was going was great!:takethat: He would ride up on the Viper's ass, cut right, nail it, jump in front of him, then cut left, brake, let the Viper pass him and repeat the process. I imagine the DSM guy didn't want to let the opportunity pass by and had become disillusioned with the Viper's indifference to his overtures. The guy in the Cobra raced ahead to pull even with the circus going on in front us. I was just sitting there laughing, wondering what must have been going through the head of the Viper guy (May day! May Day! Under attack! Incoming!:p )

I think everyone is curious about the abilities of the new Cobra, because as soon as he pulled alongside the Viper, I saw the taillights dip and he was off. The other cars took off in pursuit and I was immediately impressed by how the DSM bucked (under a severe downshift apparently) and went into orbit. Wow! He ran down the Viper and forced the Cobra to try to run down him.

I wasn't about to let the action go down without me, so I broke into the left lane, downshifted to fourth and drew even with the pack as they slowed down and lined up for a 60 punch. I held it in fourth. The DSM guy took the liberties of doing the three-honk. I eased her into third and feathered the clutch up, the motor responding with an especially angry growl. The DSM guy, in the lane next to me, gave me a quick wide-eyed appraising glance. I flashed a smile. The three honks came a moment later and we were off. Well, they were off. I punched it too hard and began painting the asphalt with rubber at 60 MPH. The cold air tradeoff-more horses for less traction. :D I laid off for a second, to allow the tires to catch . . . and catch they did. Here comes the part you're going to love . . .

I blew past the Cobra, who was a car-and-a-half behind the Viper. I smoked by the Viper too, who was a little over a car behind the DSM! Jesus, was that thing fast! It left two alleged "big boys" in the dust and was widening the margin still!

By 125 I had put 3 cars on the DSM and at 145, when we shut'em down, I was maybe 5 1/2 -6 cars up on him, 8 and 10 on the Viper and Cobra respectively. We raced three more times with generally the same results. Me falling behind at the get-go, as I smoked them on the launch (even from around 70 once!) and the shift from third to fourth, and ending up 5-6 ahead of the closest competitor, who happened to be the DSM in every race!

Now, you're probably thinking that 5-6 car lengths is a lot. You have to understand, though, how ridiculously fast The Beast is. It feels like it's going to shake itself apart under WOT. The weight-to-power ratio is sick. I couldn't believe how well that DSM kept up. I usually blast away from most everyone (at the track, that is). While leaving no question who won, I couldn't even come close to making this guy a speck in my rearview like I do to most at the track. I was completely impressed. I mean, this guy laid the smack down on the Viper's finest (up until this year anyway) and the fearsome '03 Cobra. Props to DSMs. Done right, they are truly amazing cars.

We all pulled into a rest stop a few miles after the final race. I bought Whoppers for everyone at Burger King and we rapped for a while. The Viper was stock, except for exhaust. The Cobra had a Diablo chip, a Lightning Pulley and a Bassani full exhaust (the guy claimed 440 RWHP). Forgive me for being somewhat illiterate when it comes to DSM mods if I mess up some of the names or confuse the terminologies. I'm doing this from memory. He had a 20g turbo, 3" full exhaust w/turbo downpipe, Greddy boost controller, turbo timer, and BOV (that's what he called it and I was too embarrassed to ask what it stood for; blowoff valve, I assume?), and a few other tidbits I'm not remembering at the moment. Either way, it was a well done machine. Blazing fast. The owner was really cool. His name was Rick. He said he rarely loses and that my Z was the fastest car he's ever encountered anywhere. Are you on here Rick? If so, great runs. Your car is, in it's own right, a beast! Sweet ride, man.

Thanks for reading this novel. What a great series of races!

Zealous

·
Registered
787 Posts
Man your ride is SICK!! HOLY!.. Sweet Story, Sweet Kills...

I would have killed to be there!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
WOW :eek: I would have given a kidney to be in the car videotaping that. No one is going to believe this otherwise. Man too awsome, you people suck the only exotic car around here is a Lambo vt :D ohh wait. Good kills, I would love to own a z06, if i could a Lingenfelter would be trophy of a car.

·
Registered
749 Posts
thats pretty sick, get you a digi cam and race them again with on tape ;)

peace

·
Elite DSMtalker
718 Posts
Story

Very well put. Its been a while since I have seen a story put together with such a good use of grammer. Awesome kills, I would have LOVED to had been there !! :cool:

Neal

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
all i can say is SICK!! thats just amazing nice battles, thats gotta be a once in a lifetime shot!!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, everyone. It was a rare opportunity, certainly the first of its kind that I've personally encountered. Typically, you're lucky just to find one car in the right place at the right time that represents suitable competition. When you have almost 700 (crank) HP, "suitable competition" can be hard to come by, so I feel very fortunate to have found myself in that situation last night. In retrospect, it almost seems surreal. Despite that I don't condone street racing and try to do as much of my racing on the track as possible, I suppose I'd been waiting for such an ideal scenario to arise for as long as I've owned Vettes, which is over ten years now. It was nice to have the opportunity to test The Beast on the highway, too. I know well what she's capable of at the track (which is so disproportionate to my ability to maximize her true potential; hey, it's tough to keep that many ponies planted:)). Now I know that she pulls in every gear, including fifth, as savagely as she does in the first two.

Definitely one of those memorable runs. Those fleeting few minutes made all the $$$ I've invested in the Z worth it. Glad you guys found the story enjoyable. It was enjoyable to be there and to have been a part of it.

Have a good night, everyone,

Zealous

·
Registered
412 Posts
What kind of times do you run on the vette at the track?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What kind of times do you run on the vette at the track?
It varies really, migamb. For my car in particular (as it does for many), it depends largely on the environmental conditions. For me to have a truly "good" run, I usually like it to be in the mid fifties and dry. At that temp I can still get reasonably good traction (good enough, anyway) on the DRs and the motor gets to breathe the cool air it thrives on. Any colder and, sure, the motor loves it, but my chances of spinning on the launch are greater.

That having been said, my best personal time to date is 10.14 at 137.6 w/a 1.89 '60. I usually run somewhere between 10.1 and 10.5. I'd like to get my '60 down to the 1.45 to 1.5 range. If I do, given my high ETs, I'm sure I can sneak into the high 9s. I'm a decent driver, but with the power this car is putting down it can be very difficult to keep planted when you launch. My buddy, who has five years more track experience than I do, is going to run her in a couple weeks. I'm confident he'll pull a 9-something. The car is more than capable of it.

My goal, when planning on how I wanted to set this car up, was to have a naturally-aspirated motor capable of high 9s. I've never been a big fan of power adders (it's always seemed like cheating to me:) ), so I wanted to have an N/A beast that could keep up and/or beat cars with blowers/big turbos or running N2O. The only way to achieve that was through a big bore, large displacement stroker motor, which is exactly what the tuner built for me. I still have some room to put her at well over 600 to the wheels with a few tweaks, but I'm more than happy with the power I'm making now. As it is, traction is almost always an issue. Makes me kind of jealous of you AWD guys.;)

Have a good day, everyone

Zealous

·
Registered
153 Posts
thats ridiculous...600 whp in a car that ways what a vette ways!!

Holy shit dude thats insane...I'm not sure what part of Jersey ur in, but I live in staten island and i'd love to see that thing run...granted u'd blow by me like i was riding a go-ped...but damm Z06's are beautiful to begin with...but a high 9's Z06...nice kills!!

·
Registered
749 Posts
you got any pics of this car? dont take this the wrong way but its kinda hard to belive you run 10's without proof,

peace

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you got any pics of this car? dont take this the wrong way but its kinda hard to belive you run 10's without proof,
I understand your impetus for asking, of course, but I don't see it being so difficult to believe that a car putting almost 600 horses to the ground wouldn't run low 10s fairly effortlessly. Those who regularly run at Englishtown know my car well, including a few of your fellow DSMers (although I don't know if they are members here or not) and wouldn't think twice about validating the capabilities of my Z. But, if you want proof, sure, I have a few pictures of my car. My friend snapped some with his digital camera a couple months ago when it was sitting in the driveway at my house. That's about the best I can do in the way of pics. Certainly, it's your prerogative to take my word for it or not. Either way, it's cool. Unfortunately, we live in a world of cynics and skeptics, who feel people actually have something to gain from misrepresentation. I'm not here to dupe anyone, man. I just stopped by to share a story about a couple cool races and a DSM that impressed the hell out of me. That's all.

Have a good one,

Zealous

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Holy shit dude thats insane...I'm not sure what part of Jersey ur in, but I live in staten island and i'd love to see that thing run...granted u'd blow by me like i was riding a go-ped...but damm Z06's are beautiful to begin with...but a high 9's Z06...nice kills!!
I'm in Central Jersey. Why don't you come on down to E-Town one Friday night? It's not that far for you from S.I. Ever been before? It's a good time. If you want to come and watch The Beast run, let me know and I'll tell you the next time I'm headed down there.

Zealous

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hmm, where did you get your 436 from. Not calling BS but I'm on all the LS1 and corvette boards and I've never heard of your car, if you post over there what screen name do yo use? Also what are the cam specs on the 436? And BTW it's very easy for a car putting that much power to run shitty, it's all about driving skills and traction/suspension.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Case in point Supra's. We all know they can have 700 hp and still run in the 12's.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Black97TSIAWD said:
Case in point Supra's. We all know they can have 700 hp and still run in the 12's.
lol, shh they get emotional about things like that ;) :p

(i love traction)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Why you guys always have to question. This guy is obviously knows what he is talking about. Read the original post. I have seen some domestics with a lot less than 600 HP run 10's its not that big a deal. Especially on a car that is already a beast in stock form and this one is completely modified to run fast in a straight line form his comments.

·
Registered
749 Posts
migamb said:
Why you guys always have to question. This guy is obviously knows what he is talking about. Read the original post. I have seen some domestics with a lot less than 600 HP run 10's its not that big a deal. Especially on a car that is already a beast in stock form and this one is completely modified to run fast in a straight line form his comments.
umm anything can be said on the net, i was just asking if he had any proof, whats wrong with that

peace (i have a 1000 horse dsm :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
690 Posts
sounds like a fun night....i would love to see your car in action as well, thats just silly fast ;)

nice to see other car enthousiasts posting as well-

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.