DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the dsm world I tried searching my issues first and I can't find what I'm experiencing exactly. 94 GSX. I bought it running rough how it is. I brought it home had 2 different plugs in it 馃and the throttle cable was pulled tight misfired at high idle got it to idle/run good (plugs&cable). Go for a drive feels very sluggish breaks up at 4k won't pull past makes 11psi. I do a comp test all come back high 150s low 160s check for boost leak, stock SMIC had good leaks patched em whole charger system holds good. I did all maintenance at this time new belts, pumps, thermostat, leaky gaskets, all fluids and filters checked and cleaned everything I could. Car runs way better pulls decent but still feels a little hesitant and now it breaks up at 4500-4800rpm and hits what feels like limiter? at 5k rpm. Still makes 11psi the limiter I'd describe as a buzz a consistent steady tone no bounce or pops. Has anyone experienced this please help I'm trying my best to figure it out. I can't think of anything else. The motors in time on belt I haven't checked ignition timing yet no other mods stock other than turbo and exhaust no tuning or logging I just want it to run properly before purchasing fun parts

Registered
Hello, and sorry that nobody has responded yet. The issue you are most likely experiencing is a bad ECU. A good troubleshoting step is to replace the ECU with a known good unit to see if the symptoms change. A little history with DSM ECU's: They ALL fail. every single one. The specific issue is that electrolytic capacitors fail, and leak acidic fluid over the motherboard.

This was documented back in the early 2000's and here is a write-up from vfaq.com

So there are 3 kinds of ECUs out there in the wild:
  • Original ECUs with very low mileage and have not failed yet.
  • Original ECU's where the capacitors have been replaced.
  • Replacement ECU's that have higher-quality capacitors.

There is a 4th option: an aftermarket ECU. There are Plug-And-Play ECU's and full stanalone ECU's. AEM makes plug-and-play ecus, and also standalone ecus where you have to re-wire all the sensors and injector/spark outputs.

Look around and do your research, although the most expensive, a standalone ecu from AEM or its competitors may be the best choice. Even tough this replacement ECU may be more expensive then the entire car I still recommend it because the stock ECU just is too difficult to get to run right.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow thank you I had no clue that was a thing and that never crossed my mind which is funny because I had a jeep that almost did the same thing cold started great warmed up started missing and sputtering ran terrible once warm replaced everything under the hood and issues just for fun swapped the computer bam problem solved I don't why I didn't think of that for the eclipse thank you again I'll update once I get the money for it 馃憤

1 - 4 of 4 Posts