DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iono if you'd call this tech but here goes.
I want a DSM, but I want an AWD DSM, but they're hard to find and expensive. However, recently a '95 Talon TSi has come up for sale for $4,500. It's a manual with about 65k miles. I was wondering what you guys would do, wait out for the AWD or just take the TSi? Also, what (besides crankwalk) might be wrong with the TSi to make the price so low? I'd search but I just thought of this as I was typing, how can I test for crankwalk and such? Thanks

·
Registered
489 Posts
Um 90% of Tsi's are AWD....
Check to see if its burning oil or coolant.
Ask for maintenance records.
Take it to a reputable mechanic and have him check the car thoroughly.

Rogue

·
Registered
89 Posts
Do all of the above, but is the car stock? Who is driving it? Do they really know what they have? It could be a good deal and the car could be fine.

For example, i picked up a 1992 VR4 TT with 20k for $13k. The owners were *scared* of it and didn't know what they had, and sold it for cheap.

Also, the TSI could be an awd... check it out.

·
Banned
2,699 Posts
you say its a tsi as if tsi's r all FWD cars, very well could be AWD, and depending on shape, thats a damn good price as well. id have a mechanic look it over good, and buy the sucka =p

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't the AWD's say TSi AWD? That's what I remember. None the less, no rear transfer case.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok guys, here's the total information. Car was wrecked at around 15K miles, so it has a salvage title, the engine was rebuilt and has about 50K on it. Everything's clean and runs great. The seller is very reputable around here. It's a '95 Talon TSi (FWD). He's asking $4,500. It's a manual with power everything but no leather and the A/C has a leak somewhere. The paint on the hood is semi-faded and on the side-mirrors it's faded as well. Opinions?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
In your other post about this same topic you said you were getting out of debt, the car might be ok.

If it has a rebuilt engine at 50k it was mistreated or modded, then the clutch it has might be dead/dying.

Where was it wreaked(front rear)?

Take off for the a/c and it might sound good.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The engine was rebuilt at 15k, not 50k. It's bone stock. The engine sounds a lot higher pitched from the cockpit than my 1G GS-T, is that normal? I'm not sure exactly where the damage was. THe guy selling it is just selling it at his lot for his best friend, so he doesn't know. I could have him call up the friend and find out. Everything is perfectly clean except the faded paint like I said. But my major dilema is I want AWD. I don't like FWD. But this is a beautiful black 2G TSi for less than I've ever seen. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
The engine was rebuilt at 15k, not 50k. It's bone stock.
Then it was rebuilt because of the wreak? It must have really smacked something good in front to need a rebuild.

Maybe the hood is from a junkyard(faded)?

It has gone 50K since then so something has to be working wright.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would love to wait for an AWD but they're so rare here. I think I've seen one, a 1G, for about $7,000 here. I just don't know how long it'd be before I could get rid of this slow RX-7 for the fast and beautiful DSM.

·
Banned
2,699 Posts
it wasnt treated well if it has a faded hood, probly never washed or waxed, left out in sun witout bein waxed etc. or junkyarder hood. rebuilt AT 15k? damn id find out what exactly was smashed on it, id get em to take off for A/C not working, and probly see what theyll do about the hood because im sure its not original if the car was smashed so bad the engine needed rebuilding. it seems a lil high for whats wrong to me, but then again ive seen bone stock 96's with 120k for like 8grand lol. id get a lil more info on the crash etc.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New news, guy says it was never rebuilt, just had a Rebuilt or Salvage title. I CARFAXed it, salvaged at 2,100 miles. Dunno what happened totally yet, everything else on the car looks fine, somehow the hood looks brand new now, just needs to be washed. I went there today and it looked like a different car, LOL. Anyway, FWD TSi, he'll fix the A/C for free if I buy it. Total miles are 68K or so. Can't think of anything else right now, 'night.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
New news, guy says it was never rebuilt, just had a Rebuilt or Salvage title.
They just don't give those titles to any car. Something happened.

I would by it if it drives in a straight line and acts normal.

4500 isn't alot of money, i've spend more and had less to show for it:rolleyes:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is it supposed to sound a lot higher-pitched from the cockpit than the 1Gs?

·
Banned
2,699 Posts
what kinda high pitch noise? like a belt squeel? engine just sounds like a lil girl screamin?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah the engine sounds like a little girl screaming. Belts are fine.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I guess it really doesn't fucking matter 'cause the fucking bank won't loan me any fucking money even though I've had my last two fucking car loans through them and never missed shit.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Slavage title... I wouldn't touch it for anything over $3,000 as long as it drives straight. Even at that, I'd only consider it for a track beater.

Then again, you can't get a fucking loan, so I guess this is moot?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dude it's had another 50K miles since the salvage. It was salvaged brand new with $2,000 or so worth of damage, the front quarter panel as replaced, not much more.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts