DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 98 GSX turbo cams are installed and the car is running. I must say that this mod was definitly worth the $26 I paid for them. :)

The low end power increased a good bit. But the whole feel of the car is different now. When I used to floor the car I'd get a big kick and then the power would fall off. Now I get a kick, but not as big. However instead of dying off the car keeps pushing me back in my seat harder and harder until redline.

I won't start guess how much power I gained by doing this. It's hard to tell since the car drives much different now. I will say that the car is a good bit faster now. My car actually has balls on the interstate in 5th gear now. :)

Definitly a worthwhile mod. :)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just went out and drove it again. This time I really nailed it. A few notes.

-3rd gear feels very nice. It just pulls and pulls. I can also pretty much drive in 3rd all the time. The low end power improved greatly, so much so that I can take a slow turn now in 3rd and instead of the engine bogging it, just picks right up.

-The sound. Oh the sound. :) Wide open throttle sounds very wicked now. Idle is a bit deeper as well as the whole exhaust note. The intake growls much louder now too.

Maybe I seem a bit too excited, but they made more of a difference than I expect. :)

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
That's awesome man. We still need to get up sometime, I live off Pendleton street if you know where that is.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Nice mod dude! I wish I did cams when I got my timing belt/water pump installed but I was worried about a rough idle and my stock valve springs causing problems? Sound like your enjoying the gain! I think cams are probably one of the best upgrades you can do for an N/T. And, where did you get the 98gsx cams and for how much... Yes, I'm a little jealous..

·
Honorary Moderator
1,969 Posts
For $26, dam goat you got a steal, I assume they are in good shape?
Did you do intake and exhaust cams?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Is there a difference between 98 GSX cams and earlier turbo model cams? I thought A. all turbos had the same cams and B. the turbo intake cam was only slightly different and shouldnt produce a gain at all.

How different are they and what are the specs as compared to say another year turbo 4g63?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the 92+ turbo cams are more agressive than the N/T cams.

I got them for $26 shipped from eBay. :)

And I did intake and exhaust.

Hope that answers the questions. :)

These should hold me over until I can afford my HKS cams. :D

·
Honorary Moderator
1,969 Posts
Super goat, about how long did it take you to do?
Any problems you ran into? Things to look out for?
So anything 92 and up is worth getting, 90-91 cams aren't worth it?
supergoat said:
the 92+ turbo cams are more agressive than the N/T cams.

I got them for $26 shipped from eBay. :)

And I did intake and exhaust.

Hope that answers the questions. :)

These should hold me over until I can afford my HKS cams. :D

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 90 turbo cams are the exact same as the non-turbo. from what I hear, the 91 are the same way.

Cam install was easy. Making sure the timing belt does not move or slip is hard. Mine slipped off so I had to get my timing reset.

But all in all I had the intak cam swapped in about 30min and the exhaust in about 20. Would have taken longer but the timing belt slipped so I didn't have to take time to make sure everything was lined back up.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
supergoat said:
The 90 turbo cams are the exact same as the non-turbo. from what I hear, the 91 are the same way.
Nope...

The 91' to 94' turbo 5-speed ones are the ones to get. The turbo AT ones won't let you feel any diffenrence at all.

supergoat...
I believe that you had the turbo AT ones before, right??

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no I had the 90 5speed cams. Still they are the same grind as my non-turbo.

I was looking for some 91-94 but could not find any. I found these from a 98 5 speed GSX and while they are not as agressive as the 91-94, they were still more agressive than my stockers and made a nice improvement. :)

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
supergoat said:
no I had the 90 5speed cams. Still they are the same grind as my non-turbo.

I was looking for some 91-94 but could not find any. I found these from a 98 5 speed GSX and while they are not as agressive as the 91-94, they were still more agressive than my stockers and made a nice improvement. :)

A friend of mine recently moved to an HKS setup...

I will check with him to see if he sells the stockers (91') I can't promise you anything, but I will check with him about it...;)

I will contact you via a PM...

·
Registered
274 Posts
i thought you couldn't do this cause of them being two different engines. that's what i was told by some of my fellow 2gnters. how is it possible to take a set of 4g63 cams and put them in a 420a engine?

·
Honorary Moderator
1,969 Posts
All first gens used mitsu engines. supergoat has a 1g.

bedlam32570 said:
i thought you couldn't do this cause of them being two different engines. that's what i was told by some of my fellow 2gnters. how is it possible to take a set of 4g63 cams and put them in a 420a engine?

·
Registered
274 Posts
ah ok. well maybe if he had specified what he had done it, then i woulda known what it was going it. and if you are going to say well it's under his user name what he has, well not everyone looks at all that stuff. sorry my bad

·
Registered
236 Posts
So according to you guys
For my 91 laser N/T (auto)
I need to get a set of cams from a 91 to 94, TSI or GSX (manual)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts