DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read about how taking off the a/c belt will give u more power or whatnot, could somebody explain in detail exactly what belt is the a/c, lol, on a 1.8. if ya could, thanx a lot

·
Registered
604 Posts
Okay, looking at the motor from the front of the car...

It's on the driver side, the belt closest to the firewall, directly underneath the distributor. It runs on 3 pulleys, 2 small ones and a larger one. Hope I explained it well enough, that was how I found it though.

Oh yeah, you could also check a few threads down, the "more power" thread was all about the a/c belt mod;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
You will probably only free up around 2-3 hp from removing the a/c belt. But hey with 98hp stock 2-3 is better than none, lol I am an old 1.8 driver from a while back and still remember how it felt trying to squeeze something outta nothing!lol

Keep those 1.8 mods coming and is anyone going to ever turbo one!!! If so I am eager to hear the outcome.

L8r :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
604 Posts
removing a/c pulleys??

Hey, how hard would it be to take off the pulleys for the a/c, just to take off a few extra pounds? It won't affect anything else, right, i mean, since there's no belt on them, they don't spin right? I'll do anything for less weight and/or more power.:D

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Re: removing a/c pulleys??

eclipse2nr91 said:
Hey, how hard would it be to take off the pulleys for the a/c, just to take off a few extra pounds? It won't affect anything else, right, i mean, since there's no belt on them, they don't spin right? I'll do anything for less weight and/or more power.:D
I don't think that would be necessary since the weight you might save in there is very minimal. Of course some significant weight reduction would be if you remove the entire A/C system....

·
Registered
604 Posts
How much weight would that take off? And how could I do it, would it be a huge job that I'd have to have a mechanic do, or could I do it myself? If anyone knows of a vfaq or anything that could help me out with the removal, please give me a link. Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
No its not that hard to take the A/C system out of the car But why? The whole system maybe weights 10lbs. tops if that. You would have to go to the dealer and have them drain the ref. which would cost $$$. Think about this:
1. remove the spare tire, jack and pray you don't get a flat.
2. remove the pass. seat, back seat, stereo, climate controls, air bags, and all carpet and interior panels.
3. only fill your car with 2 gallons of gas since gas weights 5lbs. a gallon. So thats 55lbs. less. That way you can race from gas station to gas station.
4. go on a diet, PUT THE FORK DOWN!!!
5. FOR EVERY 100LBS. YOU REMOVE FROM YOUR VEHICLE IT WITH ONLY BE 1/10 OF A SECOND FASTER IN THE 1/4.
6. Be realistic save your money and buy a car that already has a good power to weight ratio and start from there.

·
Registered
943 Posts
eclipse2nr91 said:
....If anyone knows of a vfaq or anything that could help me out with the removal, please give me a link....
Here's a link who's sole purpose on the net is to help you out with that problem...

here's a good link to start with...

Part of being a DSM'r is being able to do atleast *some* things for yourself...

as far as removing the AC, involves unmounting the compressor, removing the lines, removing the charcoal canister (I think :p last time I helped remove an AC system was off a '78 350 ~10 years ago) and you'll drop maybe 30lbs... I'm tired its before 7 and less than 3hrs sleep... :mad: sooo hope this is all correct...

·
Registered
604 Posts
gixrman, har har har, you're funny. Stop being an a$$ and get outta the 1.8 forum if you have nothing constructive to say, you damn dirty 4g63'er!:mad:

·
Registered
25 Posts
can u take off the a/c belt on a 92 talon??

·
Registered
604 Posts
I don't see why not, the a/c for all the cars is the same thing, if you don't use it, or it doesn't work, hack the belt and free up a few more hp. The a/c belt acts almost as a "parasite", it's just another thing the engine has to spin, thus draining power.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts