DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I saw this in the FAQ but I can't find it now.

I hate the fact that the A/C comes on with the defroster. I think to disable the feature you need to take the selector out and remove a clip.. but I am not sure.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
145 Posts
AC actually removes moisture from the air, which is condusive to defrosting... why would you want it to turn off? Parasitic loss?

·
Registered
662 Posts
True the A/C removes the moister from the air, BUT in the winter time the air is plenty dry coming from outside to defrost.

The only reason why the A/C comes on with the defroster (in 2G's only, 1G's don't have this "feature") is to prevent seals from failing, but rarely do they fail because of that.

I can't find the clip either, hell I can't even get the switch out, so what I did is since it's heading into winter for me, I just disconnected the A/C clutch from the wire. It's a little wire connector. It took me all of 30 seconds and I"m all set. The light still comes on though the compressor never does.

Just reconnect it in the summer and your all set.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2G's have the switch, but it gets over riden when you use the defroster. I tried to take the HVAC cluster out the other night but it seems that you need to take the whole dash apart :rolleyes: I think a very hidden switch that kills the AC is in order. I hate doing this wire twisting shite.

·
Registered
662 Posts
greenstreak said:
When the ac is kicked on with the defroster, does the ac light illuminate?
My light comes on regardless of whether or not I actually have the button depressed, as soon as I flip it to defrost.

I disconnected the wire into the A/C clutch over the winter. The A/C light comes on but the A/C clutch never engages.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
And you have a detailed VFAQ ready to go, right ? :)

Seriously though, I'm interested in this also. I'd like to simply heat the windows via the defrost setting, without activating the A/C freon deployment.

Let us know how that's working out for you. I feel wierd when I hear another belt kick in, and my oil pressure gauge jumps a bit going in and out of A/C usage.... :eek:

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'll write a VFAQ on it tonight. I guess it must sound harder than it is :)

So far it's working very well for me, I have no complaints. It sure is nice to be able to turn on the defroster and not of the car become a dog.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was I imagining things when I saw this in the VFAQ?

The fuse method sounds good, but I prefer the idea of modifying the switch. How do I get the HVAC cluster out of the dash?

·
Registered
662 Posts
No you weren't imagining things. It wasn't in the VFAQ though, it was in the "1000 Already Answered Questions"

Why does the A/C come on, by itself, when I turn the defroster on?

This is peculiar to 2G DSMs and is a result of the factory deciding this was a good idea for you. The rationale for this 'feature' is that disuse of the A/C feature during winter can lead to premature seal cracking. Having the A/C on with the defrost ensures that the A/C system stays "active" and keeps the seals properly wetted. The justification for this might be considered suspect, since chronic A/C seal failure is not known to be a problem on 1G DSMs, even Canadian ones.

If you hate it, you can remove the little tab on the vent dial that is responsible: see this photo for the details.
Though the photo link is broken.

As I think about it, would it be possible to get an inline fuse holder, solder a toggle switch on to that and then blade style connectors on either side. Then remove the A/C fuse and put it in the inline holder and plug the loose blade connectors in place where the fuse is in the fuse box? Then you could just switch it on or off as you felt like it. Though I woudl definately think it'd be easier, in that case, to just pull the fuse.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I KNEW I saw it somewhere! Thanks!. Personally that would be my prefered method.

Assuming the AC has its' own fuse then yes it will work fine. I don't know if the AC light will turn on as usual though.... I think it would. A switch could easily be mounted by the fuse box so it's out of the way and easily accessable.

No one dares to take the tab out? Why not?

·
Registered
662 Posts
I can't get the HVAC panel out, I had my dash apart one night trying to access the elusive "tab" but I couldn't figure out how to get it out and from what I could see it looked like more work than it was worth, so I just unsnapped the connect. I took the easy way out :)

·
Honorary Administrator
17,457 Posts
That is odd. I haven't touched my system and my AC never comes on with the defrost.

imoore said:

My light comes on regardless of whether or not I actually have the button depressed, as soon as I flip it to defrost.

I disconnected the wire into the A/C clutch over the winter. The A/C light comes on but the A/C clutch never engages.

·
Elite DSMtalker
334 Posts
could you have a broken indicator light?

·
Registered
36 Posts
That is odd. I haven't touched my system and my AC never comes on with the defrost.
On my old '95 GST it was the same way. The AC would not come on unless the button was pressed. Now in my '97 it comes on when it's defrosting. I assumed Mitsubishi changed it in the '97+ model years but who knows. I'm going to look for that tab today or see if I can wire a switch like you guys are talking about.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Alright, I found the tab. It's actually a momentary switch that is closed when the knob is turned to either of the two defroster settings. To get to it just take out the center vents and cover. It helps to have a small flashlight and mirror but it's possible to just feel for the tab. If your facing the HVAC controls, the switch is located on the left side and bottom of the backside of the vent selector knob. If you can get your fingers down there, turn the knob back and forth so you can feel where the tab is making contact. Once, I found it I just bent the tab until it broke off. Now, I only have AC when the actual AC button is pressed. No more parasitic loss when the defroster is on!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
just want to clear something up...just becuase it is winter DOES NOT mean the air is dry. Right now outside it is 37F out with 93% humnidity! it is not raining here and is usually in the upper 70 to 80% humidity. The AC is extremely helpful in areas like this, (coast) and in fact it might make the problem worse if you did not have the AC on. I have had weather here in Scandinavia where it was 13f and had 70% humidity (Geilo, Norway) so remember just becuase its cold DOES NOT mean the air is dry.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Entropy said:
just want to clear something up...just becuase it is winter DOES NOT mean the air is dry. Right now outside it is 37F out with 93% humnidity! it is not raining here and is usually in the upper 70 to 80% humidity. The AC is extremely helpful in areas like this, (coast) and in fact it might make the problem worse if you did not have the AC on. I have had weather here in Scandinavia where it was 13f and had 70% humidity (Geilo, Norway) so remember just becuase its cold DOES NOT mean the air is dry.
The only problem with that thinking is that humidity isn't absolute, meaning at 75f, the air has a much higher capacity for holding water than say at 7f. I know the formula is out there somewhere but for my needs... I've been running the car for about 2 months with the a/c disconnected and I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, so we get winter far before the rest of the country and it's been hoving around 25-35 degees for the past month and a half and my windows have never fogged up.

But it was a good observation ;)
I would definately like the option to turn the A/C on when I needed though, because, come spring time, it does get awefully humid and heavy air and I'm sure it'll start fogging up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts