DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a wierd question which I don't believe it has ever been asked.. But here it goes
Inorder for your car to have any combustion at all you need oxygen.. If I ran a line of PURE Oxygen in the airfilter between the fins, without compressing the air instead letting it suck in more oxygen rich air. Would it work? How Dangerous would it be? and Or would I have to inject it dry into the intake like nos using an electronic injector?

Very curious Please repley if have any ideas, input, or answers

·
Registered
550 Posts
You'd probably run it so lean that it would blow up. Oxygen is a very flammable gas and the only reason it appears to burn in a controlled manner in the atmosphere is because of the presence of nitrogen, an inert gas.

Think about it this way: when you use nitrous, the heat created by the combustion seperates the nitrogen atoms from the oxygen atoms. The bigger bang is kept in check by the newly seperated nitrogen atoms. Without nitrogen, the explosion would be too much and it wouldn't be long before the engine blows itself apart.

If you want to put more oxygen into your engine, just install nitrous.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Couldn't have said it better my self. Beautiful post.

·
Registered
149 Posts
But I wounder how much nitrous would be ok to run on stock internals before damaging your engine? 25, 50, I doubt 75. 100 is out of the question.

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,897 Posts
Koreandriver said:
If I ran a line of PURE Oxygen in the airfilter between the fins, without compressing the air instead letting it suck in more oxygen rich air. Would it work? How Dangerous would it be?
You need to read up on O2 reactions. The oil and grease present in any DSM intake tract would pose a sigificant explosion hazzard. When working with pure O2 you have to use special lubricants to avoid oxidation reactions.

I once saw a demostration when a pin point of grease was put on some filter paper and dipped into liquid oxygen. After a second for the O2 to boil off it went bang and shook the room.

In rocket engines that use O2 as the oxidizer any fuel present when the O2 starts flowing can cause what called a hard start. Nice name for the engine blowing up.

This is one of the reasons Nitrous is used since it doesn't release it's oxygen until it heats up and decomposes.

Steve

·
Elite DSMtalker
5,037 Posts
If you injected Helium into the intake, do you think your exhaust note would become as squeeky as a Honda? :)

·
Registered
721 Posts
I really doubt that there is anything new AND cheap that will make a car go faster, creat more HP, whatever - that has not already been thought, tried, and tested by some ******** or over zealous ricers.

Just hook up a can of starting fluid to a hose that goes to your throttle body. You will have enough money left over (compared how much you would spend hooking up O2 to your car) to fix it after you toasted a rod.........

·
Registered
180 Posts
QuasiMondo said:
You'd probably run it so lean that it would blow up. Oxygen is a very flammable gas and the only reason it appears to burn in a controlled manner in the atmosphere is because of the presence of nitrogen, an inert gas.

Think about it this way: when you use nitrous, the heat created by the combustion seperates the nitrogen atoms from the oxygen atoms. The bigger bang is kept in check by the newly seperated nitrogen atoms. Without nitrogen, the explosion would be too much and it wouldn't be long before the engine blows itself apart.

If you want to put more oxygen into your engine, just install nitrous.
Dude I am sorry...but that shit right there turned me on...LMFAO...VERY nicely said...LoL...seriously I"m just kidding but you are right one...werd son

·
Registered
241 Posts
Much of the cylinder pressure that makes power comes from the nitrogen being heated and expanded by the combustion process also.

·
Registered
149 Posts
What about this. Here me out. First you have a closed heat shield for for your intake filter, okay. A complete closed box around your air intake filter. What if you just hook up a bung on the side of the closed intake heat sheild and you just inject compressed cold air. Kinda like a cold air intake. Don't inject pure oxygen. Just inject regular "colder" air than what inside of your engine bay. I wounder what the hp gains would be.

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,897 Posts
GODspeed1320 said:
Just inject regular "colder" air than what inside of your engine bay. I wounder what the hp gains would be.
Before you get too excited try thing about how much colder air you need to carry around for it to be useful, then after you've given the gray matter a little workout (a little more of a workout than you put into this idea) go read up on intercoolers and intercooler chillers.

Steve

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm not saying you gotta carry around a huge as 1,000 ounce bottle. Just for doing 1/4 miles. And its just a thought. Sorry if its not a well put together final draft.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Might as well put an oxy/acetylene kit in the boot of the car, you will end up with the same finished product, a big blob of alloy in the oil pan and that will be what is left of the pistons! Pure oxygen mixed with any oil or grease will become explosive so be very careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is another technique that may work safely and is legal in Canada as far as i can see. Everyone is talking about getting a bump in power using Nitros. Technically that's illegal as a line lock in Canada 🇨🇦.

There is another substance that may work and be less illegal on the street.

Its a scuba diving gas called Nitrox, or enriched oxygen.

In a bottle they fill the tank with whatever. Mixture you desire up to 40% oxygen and 60% nitrogen. Regular air we breathe is 21% O2. Anything above that is considered enriched air. It should be able to be injected at the front of the intake, behind the throttle bottle. I'm just an old school racer but it sure helped me back in the day.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts